For the first time in a long time, I'm actually really excited to see how this tower will turn out (ok, One Bloor too). If it's built to current specs, it will completely change the face of King Street, adding a whole new sense of culture to an rather dull assortment of glass and steel cloned condos (just my opinion, I'm sure many love them, and I don't dispute their attraction, but to me, they're just all so plain looking). After both towers are complete, just imagine the impact they'll have on our skyline. Not only will the talller one become Toronto's, and Canada's tallest skyscraper (finally topping the very old record of FCP), but they're works of art in themselves. I know many of you completely disagree, but despite the many unique buildings gracing our ever expanding skyline, it will be so awesome to have such strikingly different towers. I think my biggest problem is complacency, seeing the same buildings day in day out, we become a bit jaded (I do at least). Off topic for two seconds, but I've just about finished recovering from yet another bloody surgery and rounds of radiation and chemo, and for the first time in years, I'm certain I'll be able to stick around for many years to come, so I'll definately get to see the final outcome of this project (for a while there, I very nearly didn't have that opportunity). As long as I get to see One Bloor, this project, 45 Bay Street, Union Tower, 154 Front, 1-7 Yonge, and the Oxford twins (if they are ever approved), I can die a happy man. I consider myself so lucky to be living during Torontos biggest construction boom, but in insane world, wished I could live another 50 years to see just how far we come! (I'm just about to turn 46, doubt I'll live to 96). While I'm on this thread (I'm being lazy) does anyone know the current status of this project? Last I heard the city had approved it and sales had begun, but haven't seen a thing since then, is there a projected start date yet?

I don't think sales have begun for this.

Good to hear things are turning in your favour, and yes it will be exciting to see these and others rise in the near future. I'll bet Ghery is working on some finishing touches and refinements before sales begin.

best thing about this project is such a tall building is not between University and Yonge.

Good to hear things are turning in your favour, and yes it will be exciting to see these and others rise in the near future. I'll bet Ghery is working on some finishing touches and refinements before sales begin.

I second that, hopefully it pushes other developers to up the ante on designs and raise the heights outside of the traditional "city core".

Variety on the skyline is one reason. Having every tower 40-50 storeys can get tedious.

There's nothing wrong with Vancouver's skyline :p

Subjective reasons aside: I wonder what the downtown's infrastructure can handle currently?
What would subsequent supertall towers on different sites around the Entertainment District create at streetlevel in terms of vehicular and pedestrian traffic?

I realise many on this forum are quite concerned about what the skyline looks like from a distance -- as I, too, am looking forward to the Mirvish-Gehry impact on Toronto's cityscape: but, the downtown is better developed with the long-term considerations of infrastructure services and streetlevel atmosphere.

A skyline doesn't mean much to the *life* of the downtown.

Very true and we all know some day Toronto will get heights well over 300m. But, till then its a painfully awkward placing of the "big boys" that will be very Vancouver like for a wile. But, the designs I have seen being developed the last few years are in a promising direction. One Bloor East certainly will set the bar as many say on here. Though One Bloor I fear wont look that great from a distance. Still At street level its gonna be amazing. (sorry off topic). But regarding This Project... assuming the materials end up as good as the model appears to be without close ups of the model, this to will set a new bar for future developments 20 years from now. Toronto wont be recognizable. All this Just my opinion and hope.

Back