Solaris

Member Bio
Reaction score
Could this be the next Empress Walk style mixed use development? Looking forward to seeing the plans.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2015/08/galleria_mall_on_dupont_sold_to_condo_developer/

Galleria Mall on Dupont sold to condo developer
Posted by Amy Grief / August 17, 2015
2011513-galleria-front.jpg

Dupont Street is rapidly changing. A number of prominent developers have acquired plots on the formerly industrial strip with plans to build both high and mid-rise mixed-use buildings.
Now there are reports that Freed Developments has purchased the Galleria Mall, a lagging mall in desperate need of refurbishment.
A representative from Galleria confirmed that as of August 14, the building's new owner is 2470347 Ontario Inc. with Avison Young Property Advisors and Managers Inc. as the property manager. As of present, Freed Developments has yet to comment.
Instead of getting a makeover, the mall could get a complete overhaul, and a new life, as some sort of mixed use condo tower likely thanks to one of the most fashionable developers in the city.
This wouldn't be Freed's first foray onto Dupont. The company has already acquired land west of Spadina and has submitted a rezoning proposal with plans to construct two high-rise condo towers at 328 Dupont with a total 560 residential units.
The Galleria is currently home to discount grocery store Fresh Co. and the relatively recently opened Planet Fitness. For many, however, a sale such as this seemed inevitable.

Sold to ELAD.
As far as I can tell, Freed is not involved.

Not so great news for Dufferin bus commuters.
The redevelopment possibilities of industrial areas on dufferin plus the already busy bus makes me advocate for a dufferin Subway but most people contend it's too close to thespadina line from eglinton to yorkdale.

Hope that the city gets the developer to straighten Dupont Street between Emerson Avenue and Dufferin Street, a little bit.

upload_2015-8-17_19-39-38.png

Maybe even put in parking laybys on the north side of Dupont Street, even on both sides.

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-17_19-39-38.png
    upload_2015-8-17_19-39-38.png
    281.2 KB · Views: 9,327
The redevelopment possibilities of industrial areas on dufferin plus the already busy bus makes me advocate for a dufferin Subway but most people contend it's too close to thespadina line from eglinton to yorkdale.
Trust me you're not the only one who thinks that. There are many corridors in Toronto that could use a subway compared to the ridiculous routes politicians choose for us (*cough* Richmond Hill *cough* Vaughan).

But in any case, yes this will be bad news for Sufferin St.

Subways don't have to follow a single street across the city since they're built underground.

Subways don't have to follow a single street across the city since they're built underground.
True but subways ona grid work better in my opinion keeping things simple and making it so you dontneed to runan additional bus service. Plus with dufferin clogged with cars from eglinton to 401(because some people are avoiding the allen) it is a nightmare for surface transit. There is massive development happening at lawrence and dufferin, across from yorkdale and I will assume whenthe leglinton lrt is done that intersection will be transformed as well. The fact iis the spadina subway should have gone upbathurst or dufferin all along.

Also, the new development will likely consist of more retail than currently exists, according to the Galleria's twitter account.

Sources still saying this is Freed on Twitter, and that ELAD info is incorrect.

I'm retracting a bit of what I said earlier (and have now deleted), but who are the Twitter sources, and where is their info coming from? Could their sources be the Blog TO article? I am hearing from a reliable source now that both are involved.

The rumour initially started on BuzzBuzz I believe, with someone throwing out the Freed name. It then went to twitter, and BlogTO picked it up. Whether they confirmed the rumour with sources or just ran the article on rumours, I couldn't tell you.

I'm retracting a bit of what I said earlier (and have now deleted), but who are the Twitter sources, and where is their info coming from? Could their sources be the Blog TO article? I am hearing from a reliable source now that both are involved.

iDaniel416 and Gil Meslin.

iDaniel416 says ELAD is a possible partner, but Freed for sure.

iDaniel claims he was first to break the news to buzzbuzzhomes, came straight from Galleria itself.

Back