Sept 15, 2019

fullsizeoutput_2dbe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2dbd.jpeg

This is going to be great. I can't wait to ride my bike through this new system of trail and park.... also looks like a great connection for residents of those buildings to King West. Better than hiking up boring old Strachan...

Garrison Crossing official opening

30-Sep-2019
Media are invited to attend the official opening of the Garrison Crossing.

Date: Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Time: 10 a.m.
Location: Garrison Crossing bridge (south end), to the rear of the Fort York National Historic Site. Access via Garrison Road, which runs north from Fleet Street.

Mayor Tory will be joined by Councillor Cressy and Councillor Layton for a ribbon cutting to open the Garrison Crossing bridge.

Tomorrow's media event will open the bridge in time for Nuit Blanche, which takes place Saturday, October 5. The City of Toronto and CreateTO will host an official community opening for the crossing in late October.

Formerly the Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge, Garrison Crossing creates a vital connection linking the park system between Trinity Bellwoods Park in the north and the Fort York grounds in the south, and fosters stronger community networks in and around the City, Fort York and the waterfront. The first of its kind in Canada, the stainless steel bridge project was led by CreateTO on behalf of the City of Toronto.

Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of more than 2.9 million people. It is a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture and is consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities. For information on non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can visit toronto.ca, call 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cityoftoronto, on Instagram at instagram.com/cityofto or on Facebook at facebook.com/cityofto.

About CreateTO
CreateTO was formed in 2018 as the City of Toronto’s new real estate agency. The organization brings together stakeholders, partners and community members to ensure the best use of the City’s real estate assets for today and tomorrow. CreateTO manages the City’s $27 billion real estate portfolio, develops City buildings and lands for municipal purposes and delivers client-focused real estate solutions – ensuring a balance of both community and economic benefits. For more information, visit createto.ca.
Susan O'Neill
CreateTO
647-801-5526
soneill@createto.ca
Jasmine Patrick
Strategic Communications
416-392-6986
jasmine.patrick@toronto.ca

So, do we have a final number on how much this bridge ended up costing versus the original bridge that Rob Ford cancelled “because it was over budget”, not accounting for the 7 year delay? Let me guess: not much was saved if anything.

So, do we have a final number on how much this bridge ended up costing versus the original bridge that Rob Ford cancelled “because it was over budget”, not accounting for the 7 year delay? Let me guess: not much was saved if anything.
What does it matter now??

At the opening Joe Cressy said the final tally is $20 million, with a portion of that coming from the developers. The budget for the "new bridge" was $19 million.

It would be great if the city closed the little used portion of Wellington St. from Walnut St. to Stafford St.That would not impct emergency services and would add a nice chuck to Stanley park to the north.

My understanding is that you would have to cut over to Strachan at Fleet Street and go a block south on the on-street bike lanes, So kind of, but not really.
That's not bike friendly at all. Crossing Strachan on bike at any intersection is not easy. If the intention of the bridge was to provide a safer passage for pedestrians and bikes to access the waterfront shouldn't they have included a bike path along Fort York Blvd?

Back