4.7K     0 

simply Dan

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/05/07/gay-pride-funding.html

Toronto gay pride denied federal funds

Last Updated: Friday, May 7, 2010 | 6:27 PM ET
CBC News

Organizers of Toronto's gay pride festival were surprised and angry Friday at the Conservative government's decision to drop the lucrative and popular event from its tourism stimulus package.

Pride Toronto was not on the list of over 50 festivals awarded grants on Friday as part of the federal government's two-year, $100-million Marquee Tourism program.

In a statement Friday, Industry Minister Tony Clement said there are 20 new beneficiaries this year, and the fund's second-year goal was to "ensure regional fairness by making sure every corner of Canada benefits from this temporary stimulus program.

"Since Canada is a vast and diverse country, it is important that tourism events in every corner of the country are given the opportunity to promote Canada as a global destination of choice," Clement said.

Pride Toronto executive director Tracey Sandilands called the decision a "clear indication that the federal government doesn't believe that queer arts and culture is worth investment in."

"We are very disappointed …. We believe that that is a very strong message for the queer community, especially here in Toronto," Sandilands told the CBC's Rosemary Barton.

Sandilands said the news took her organization by surprise. It hasn't been formally told about the decision and only learned about it through the media.

Pride Toronto's contact at Industry Canada had informed them just two days ago that no decision had been made, she added.

Pride Toronto organizers have been planning $600,000 worth of enhancements for tourists and festival-goers, she said.

It is not the first time that questions have been raised about the government's handling of the Marquee Tourism program, which was introduced as a component of the 2009 federal budget.

Last year, Diane Ablonczy, one of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's junior ministers, was removed from her responsibility of running the program. The decision came after she awarded $400,000 to Pride Toronto.

Saskatchewan MP Brad Trost, a fellow Conservative, told the anti-abortion website LifeSiteNews last July that Ablonczy was being punished for the decision to give $400,000 from the Marquee Tourism Events Program to Toronto's Pride Parade.

Trost was quoted as calling it "a very isolated decision" that was not supported "by a large majority of the MPs."

Trost's comments were dismissed by Clement's office, which said Ablonczy's office wasn't as well staffed as Clement's to handle the program while also trying to complete a federal tourism growth strategy.

Toronto's Pride Week attracts tens of thousands of visitors each year. Hundreds of thousands more either turn out or tune in on television to watch the free-wheeling parade that is the week's centrepiece.

Pride Toronto officials said last summer's Pride Week contributed more than $100 million to the province's economy.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/05/07/gay-pride-funding.html#ixzz0nI2N4HQu

Good grief!

Those anti-gay, anti-women, anti-Toronto bigots currently running the country have got to be the most vile pieces of shit around.

Clearly the Consevative Party of Canada, and anyone who supports them, have demonstrated their bigotry time, and time again, and need to go.

Unfortunate but not surprising. The Conservative Party's implicitly anti-Ontario, anti-minority and anti-female policies have angered me over the years. But I do take solace in Toronto's long-term growth vs. the Conservatives' we-are-only-in-power-because-the-other-parties-have-yet-to-get-their-shit-together position. The Tories hold no ridings in Toronto. We have voted righteously. Hopefully the rest of the country follows suit.

you can't expect conservatives to fund a gay pride parade can you? pride is one of the deadly sins! ;)

"Since Canada is a vast and diverse country, it is important that tourism events in every corner of the country are given the opportunity to promote Canada as a global destination of choice," Clement said.

I can't wait to see them funding what, gay pride in Lethbridge to reflect that diversity.

AoD

Okay, I'm going to have to step in here ...

Rather then having the typical liberal nee jerk reaction to such an event - let's stop and think about it.

Why the heck does the pride festival need any funding whatsoever ... there's so much corporate presence at this even (think, TD/ or whatever bank, guys, from last year) - other events, that may be as big don't receive nearly as much funding, for example, Caribana.

Okay, I'm going to have to step in here ...

Rather then having the typical liberal nee jerk reaction to such an event - let's stop and think about it.

Why the heck does the pride festival need any funding whatsoever ... there's so much corporate presence at this even (think, TD/ or whatever bank, guys, from last year) - other events, that may be as big don't receive nearly as much funding, for example, Caribana.

That's a straw man argument. Pride is one of the biggest tourist-attracting festivals in Canada. I can't imagine too many events more appropriate for that program to fund. Not to mention...wasn't it Scotiabank Caribana?

^ +1

Caribana along with several other Toronto-area festivals got shut out of the funding as well. Instead of looking at this as homophobia perhaps it's more of a backlash against Liberal red Toronto that went into the selection process.

Either way it's discrimination.

Given that anti-gay bigotry that Harper has sprouted in the past, it's hard not to take 2+2 and get 4 - particularly after the bigoted comments some Tories made after last year's funding announcement.

The people I am going to blame are the opposition. They have the power, and sit by do nothing and let minority Conservative government to do whatever they want as if they have a majority. I'm not disappointed at all in the Conservatives, because I fully expected them to anti-women, anti-immigration, anti-gay; I expected them to bigots, so they actually lived up to my expectations 100%. The ones I am surprised and disappointed with are the Liberals and the NDP, and I will never vote either party again.

The people I am going to blame are the opposition. They have the power, and sit by do nothing and let minority Conservative government to do whatever they want as if they have a majority.

i wonder of the opposition's plan is to let the conservatives bring the country down so that the opposition can lift it back up again? remember, if the opposition keeps the conservatives from making bad decisions and things go well for the country, the average voter believes the reason things are going well is because of the conservatives' method of governing.

Good point, daddy. What's stopping all the oppositions voting together on a bill funding pride events in all cities?

i wonder of the opposition's plan is to let the conservatives bring the country down so that the opposition can lift it back up again? remember, if the opposition keeps the conservatives from making bad decisions and things go well for the country, the average voter believes the reason things are going well is because of the conservatives' method of governing.

The opposition has no plan ! But hold your nose, and vote Liberal in the next Federal election. It's the only bloody way to send these clowns packing. Lesser of the two evils, my dad used to say, and it's still true.

Caribana along with several other Toronto-area festivals got shut out of the funding as well. Instead of looking at this as homophobia perhaps it's more of a backlash against Liberal red Toronto that went into the selection process.

Agreed. Besides, Caribana has had a history of trouble getting funding - I think people are past the point of calling it racism though.

Back