well i'll be damned - after a decade and 423 thread pages we finally have a vague date for when this will happen.
And originally approved back in 2014 to my understanding. So I'm not gonna hold my breath over those dates, 'till I see the pile driven into the bedrock over this. >.<

Yes, I'll only believe it once it's well above ground and there's no turning back. A pit can be abandoned and sit empty for a long time, as we're seeing with YSL.
To be fair, projects can be abandoned anytime during any stage of the building process due to the proprietors going Cresford up. The good news is it appears GG are unlikely in that position as far as the public is aware. The question for me now becomes when they are going to get their fingers out and build this thing.

Kinda lost interest in this project as well all be grandparents before this is ever actually completed. In what ever form it ends up in. I don’t believe any info till it’s publicly posted about it. Anything in here is pure speculation. I feel no one actually knows the answers here as we dance around it all the time. hence 423 pages of nothing actually happening. Lol

Kinda lost interest in this project as well all be grandparents before this is ever actually completed. In what ever form it ends up in. I don’t believe any info till it’s publicly posted about it. Anything in here is pure speculation. I feel no one actually knows the answers here as we dance around it all the time. hence 423 pages of nothing actually happening. Lol
Curious what the city would have looked like by now if all the amazing projects that never happened actually got built. How close to a “blade runner like city” it would really look. As many have mentioned Toronto reminds them of.

Curious what the city would have looked like by now if all the amazing projects that never happened actually got built. How close to a “blade runner like city” it would really look. As many have mentioned Toronto reminds them of.
We would have had the Eaton's / John Maryon Tower where Aura currently is.

It would have been the tallest building in the world until 2008.

We would have had the Eaton's / John Maryon Tower where Aura currently is.

It would have been the tallest building in the world until 2008.
I thought I read somewhere where CN Tower became the unofficial scaled down version of that - the idea I suppose was that the city was looking for a communications tower. But that was a long time ago...

Little late to this party. Totally missed that there is an estimated construction date now. That is absolutely awesome to see.

I know a bunch of people were less than thrilled when these new renderings came out and while I do wish there wasnt the height loss, I'm optimistic that what gets built here will be the best/most refined version of this project and it will be a hit.

I'm optimistic that the current proposal will go forward as is but of course things can still change. As it stands now though, they still promise to be stunning additions to our skyline.

They'll probably chip away at the extent of the cantilevering and the quality of the materials and end up building something where if you squint and look very carefully, you might appreciate a hint of what Gehry was capable of.
...they'll end up being a taller version of Concord Canada Place with Gehry's vision for this painted onto the balcony glass? :)

Back