News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I have a late reservation at "Aloette" this month, so far no expectation so fingers crossed!

Be ready for an exorbitant price hike after the "stars" are awarded!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/14/toronto-michelin-star-restaurants
Despite Toronto’s sprawling geography and ethnic diversity, most restaurants awarded stars are located in the city centre and are either western European or Japanese cuisine. In some cases, customers can expect to spend more than C$600 (US$455) a person on a meal.

Pretty much sums up my opinions of the guide. We have so much more authentic and affordable diverse cusines which most people already know; “pay for the food and not the decor.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/14/toronto-michelin-star-restaurants

Pretty much sums up my opinions of the guide. We have so much more authentic and affordable diverse cusines which most people already know; “pay for the food and not the decor.”

Food is 100% the priority, but there is something to be said for paying for ambiance, and service, up to a point.

I imagine those average tickets include wine, which is almost always grossly inflated in cost on Toronto wine lists. Part of that is the price they are required to pay for the wine, via the LCBO, but part is just a tradition here
of slightly under pricing the food and gouging on the wine.

For me, the 'total splurge limit' is about $250 pp for a meal; for that once a year treat.

Elsewise I'm all for keeping down to a more sane number.

$600pp is just nuts; not even for A5 Kobe Beef (which I do adore)

Last edited:
Food is 100% the priority, but there is something to be said for paying for ambiance, and service, up to a point.

I imagine those average tickets include wine, which is almost always grossly inflated in cost on Toronto wine lists. Part of that is the price they are required to pay for the wine, via the LCBO, but part is just a tradition here
of slightly under pricing the food and gouging on the wine.

For me, the 'total splurge limit' is about $250 pp for a meal; for that once a year treat.

Elsewise I'm all for keeping down to more sane number.

$600pp is just nuts; not even for A5 Kobe Beef (which I do adore)

I mean trying to keep down the cost of dining out is been a struggle for many since the start of the pandemic and the prolong effect of it now.

Claudio Aprile's only remaining restautant, Xango, doesn't appear to have very good ratings.

I haven't been to Bonacini's Canoe or Auberge du Pommier before so I can't personally comment too much if they should be Star or Bib worthy.

In terms of other local "celeb chefs", Susur Lee is also shut out. Matty Matheson's new Prime Seafood Palace is getting a lot of hype, although I guess it's too recent of an addition to this city to be considered.
Canoe was my go-to place after Truffles (Four Seasons) closed. But it got a bit banal after a while. I remember Lotus, Lee's restaurant before he opened Susur, where I started using as a joke what I called the Susur Unit, an amount meant to suggest how much a restaurant meal would cost.

I'm not against Michelin covering our city, on the contrary. I went to a few celebrated American places such as Lutèce, Le Cirque and Chez Panisse, and every time I was mildly disappointed and wondered why Torontonians devalued their own food. Now, hopefully, that won't happen again.

Im really happy that we finally got a Michelin Guide here in Toronto.

Is this going to be a yearly thing? Or every few years? A one time thing? Do we know?

Claudio Aprile's only remaining restautant, Xango, doesn't appear to have very good ratings.

I haven't been to Bonacini's Canoe or Auberge du Pommier before so I can't personally comment too much if they should be Star or Bib worthy.

In terms of other local "celeb chefs", Susur Lee is also shut out. Matty Matheson's new Prime Seafood Palace is getting a lot of hype, although I guess it's too recent of an addition to this city to be considered.

My Opinion of course...

Xango = i tried their sample at many of the foodie event in Toronto, I give it a rating of 6.5/10. Given the vibe on King West...they know their demographic well.

Auberge du Pommier = is on my bucket list of places to try

Prime Seafood Palace = same as above, on my bucket list

Get ready to pay even more! Don Alfonso 1890 was ranked as the 2nd best Italian restaurant in the world (outside Italy):

LOL, they were downgraded from #1, I was hoping for a price rollback!

Back