Meeting on their revised proposal.

The City is holding a Community Consultation meeting where you can learn more about this application ask questions and share your comments. Details are as follows:
Date: Monday, December 3, 2012
Time: 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Place: Enoch Turner Schoolhouse, 106 Trinity Street
Revised Proposal
This is a rezoning application involving the retention of all of the existing buildings on the former Toronto Sun property in addition to the redevelopment of the two vacant portions of the site. Whereas the original proposal contemplated the addition of three new towers, the revised application proposes two towers: a 20-storey (89m) commercial building on the eastern portion of the site and a 13-storey (50m) commercial building at the southwest corner. The proposal includes lowering the permitted heights on the property for the retained
buildings to their current heights and the provision of a mid-block pedestrian connection.
You can view a copy of the Preliminary Report and other materials at: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/333_king.htm

November 24, 2012:

A close-up of the office building site fronting King Street where FG proposes to build their 20-atorey (89m) office tower.

IMG_0616.jpg

Except for the radically different architetural design, of which I am a huge fan, it appears that they have simply transferred the 90 meter height to office site from the previously proposed 24-storey residential tower to the south (now off the table). Their earlier proposal for the King Street office site was for a 16-storey (69m) ofice tower. As I stated in a previous post on this thread, in my opinion, 89 meters is way out of context for the area and inconsistent with not only the 26m maximum height permitted under the King-Parliament Secondary Plan, but also grossly out of context with the built form along King Street as well as the surrounding area, as is evident from the following photo. An 89m tower would be approximately 3 times the height of all other buildings in the immediate vicinity.

IMG_0614.jpg

Talk about a surprise:

King East Centre Construction A Go
First Gulf CEO David Gerofsky told us last week that the design for the company's King East Centre project is now finalized, and artist renderings and images are available for viewing (and the shading work is fantastic, reminiscent of a young Jan van Eyck). Construction begins this year. Occupancy is scheduled for 2016. The 17-storey, 500k SF office building will be situated in the existing parking lot next to the old Toronto Sun building, which First Gulf already re-converted into an office and retail site, with the Sun Media people now situated on just one floor. We expect to hear some major tenant announcements regarding King East Centre over the next few months.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/toronto/new-real-estate-program-for-rye-students/

kingeast.jpg

I'm suprised they're going ahead, with just Great Gulf which is supposedly moving their offices here, as that's only 60K or so.

I gotta say, this blog doesn't look like the most reputable source and the image looks like it was hacked together on sketch up. Is there another link to this story from great gulf?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its very reputable in my experience.

Thank you for the update. This is exciting news for downtown east. Should be a great looking project based on the two revised renderings shown above.

New front page story here with some new renderings, and an updated dataBase page with many new renderings (accessed from the story).

Back