Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how anyone can dislike the Gardiner Museum expansion. The only thing appalling is the giant billboard now slapped on the front.

I don't know how anyone can dislike the Gardiner Museum expansion. The only thing appalling is the giant billboard now slapped on the front.

Agreed. The Gardiner museum expansion is a very fine piece of architecture, as is the Nat'l Ballet School.

Last edited:
Where exactly is this going. Corner of Front and Spadina or on Wellington? Article on page 5 says Front and Spadina but that picture with the core sampling looks to be Wellington.

The new office tower is at Front/Spadina where the Toyota deal currently is. The development is throughout the lands, so I believe they were coring the entire site where they could today.

Big news!
1. Adam Vaughan (see below) has just announced that the first peak of the new office building at the corner of Front/Spadina will be January 30th at a community consultation meeting. (I can just see the seedy looking guys in the audience pull out their phone cams and then spread the renderings through the interweb)
2. Rumours are also circulating in the development industry that the Thompson family is putting up for sale immediately all of their properties in one big lump except for the corner piece for their office tower! Wow, this is probably +$125M land value as it is a big chunk in downtown toronto.

If the second bit of news is true, this development project has the potential to be of one of the biggest in Toronto in a while. Who has the financial muscle to buy this piece of land? International interest will be there for sure.

Anyone heard anything out there?
S'Bus

20120130futureglobeoffi.jpg

Big news!
1. Adam Vaughan (see below) has just announced that the first peak of the new office building at the corner of Front/Spadina will be January 30th at a community consultation meeting. (I can just see the seedy looking guys in the audience pull out their phone cams and then spread the renderings through the interweb)
2. Rumours are also circulating in the development industry that the Thompson family is putting up for sale immediately all of their properties in one big lump except for the corner piece for their office tower! Wow, this is probably +$125M land value as it is a big chunk in downtown toronto.

If the second bit of news is true, this development project has the potential to be of one of the biggest in Toronto in a while. Who has the financial muscle to buy this piece of land? International interest will be there for sure.

Anyone heard anything out there?

From what I've heard, the Globe HQ won't be terribly tall - something in the area of seven floors. As noted, the rest of the land is being sold as one piece. It's not certain whether any development news will be forthcoming until after the sale.

I heard the opposite, that the latest news is that KMPB is now working on a 20-30 storey building as the Globe has partnered with another tenant to increase the height of the building. There is also to be some sort of "event space" at ground level.

Where is our pal BMyers from Urbanation on this one? He should know something.

Hi,

Does anyone know how much sq. ft. their current office is and how much sq. ft. this new seven-floor office building will be? I'm assuming there won't be much of an increase in total office space? And most likely, developments in the lands that will be for sale will be for residential towers? I wonder if the entertainment district height restriction (which seems to cap condos at 49 storeys) would be in place here too - it would be great if we saw nice tall towers (50+ storeys) on that land.

Hi,

Does anyone know how much sq. ft. their current office is and how much sq. ft. this new seven-floor office building will be? I'm assuming there won't be much of an increase in total office space? And most likely, developments in the lands that will be for sale will be for residential towers? I wonder if the entertainment district height restriction (which seems to cap condos at 49 storeys) would be in place here too - it would be great if we saw nice tall towers (50+ storeys) on that land.

Only the corner intersection is currently zoned for 61m, then the rest of the properties are 39m on Spadina, 30m on Front and 23m on Wellington. Things are quite different west of Spadina compared to the entertainment district.

Last edited:
Keeping the low and mid rise character of the area would be best (and would help preserve Wellington as a decent street to stroll on).

Keeping the low and mid rise character of the area would be best (and would help preserve Wellington as a decent street to stroll on).

And not block my view to the North (From CityPlace). Guess there was an upside to facing the rail line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back