6187AB27-AB0F-423A-80F5-2E778E260B63.jpeg
412F1747-7072-4AD1-972B-2E3D85B36F89.jpeg

how long would it take on average to install a section once theyve figured it all out and are in a groove?

Well these two pics are in basically the same location a day apart:
6CBEF944-2E10-432D-911F-DB602230CE86.jpeg
B7600E74-7628-4F72-A222-700FD27B3179.jpeg

They're working much faster this week than they have in any previous week. It takes about two days to install the brackets around the columns, then a day to slide the gantry forward, then a day to get the beams moved from the yard up on top of the guideway and a final day to move them into place. So all in, full clip, they could be doing a section every 3-4 days depending on how they can triage the work across different scopes.

This is pretty cool! Makes me feel like this type of rapid guideway construction is probably underused here.

Prefab guideway installation is extremely easy to implement with a multitude of systems that are available for use. You have U-trough guideways as seen below (I believe for an elevated subway in India).

1657249181926.png

Or I-beam guideways like they used in the Eglinton Crosstown at Black Creek Drive.

1657249362965.png

You even have guideway construction that has a gantry crane between 2 pillars, and each guideway section is brought up in multiple sections and installed using tensioned steel cables inside the guideway. The below is from Honolulu.

1657249790916.png

There are a myriad of such techniques used all over the world. Toronto is really lacking in using diverse construction techniques. It kind of makes sense, as we don't have that many opportunities for elevated guideway transit owing to our love of underground subways.

The Davenport Diamond project is one of the few that is being successfully implemented, though, and I'm glad it is going through.

What direction did they decide to go in? Metrolinx's official answer is that it's still in procurement.
I was on Castlefield this week. Barrie GO has an at-grade crossing here which is very disruptive to traffic and btw the train was flying through the intersection - didnt feel very ‘safe’ by today‘s standards. Is there a plan to grade separate this crossing?

A 24 hour period. Gantry gets shoved, pieces get dropped into place, next two pieces take delivery:

As someone who spends too much time hunting through online digital archives and (ugh) library microfiche, I have to say…. those images are not just enjoyable for us in the moment, but have incredible archival value. This project deserves to be especially well documented. I wonder where digital archives of social media forums will end up, and how accessible they will be in a hundred years.

- Paul

PS - one interesting detail I note is that the float platforms not only shift the guideway segments, but they also provide the motive power to slide the gantry forward. Ingenious.

Back