It does seem to be a very thorough amount of heavy wiring.

I’m no electrical expert, but I have wondered if such a long, flat metal panel aligned alongside a high voltage AC catenary line might experience some inductive or capacitive effects. Kind of like the outer braid of a coax cable.

Just curious.

- Paul
Good point. Either that or with a grounding capacity to handle a catenary line should it break and come down across the cladding.

1679313926280.png

Will anyone record for history a "before" journey along the old trackwork?

People have certainly been doing that. First rule of enthusiast photography - shoot it now before it's gone, never assume it will still be there tomorrow. (Photo of first train on a new something - interesting. Photo of last train on something that isn't there any more - irreplaceable)

For the record, Wednesday morning will be the last VIA train to take the old route. The last GO trains over the diamond (not counting any equipment moves) will be about 22:30 (inbound) and 23:00 (outbound) on Friday night.

- Paul

Is there any reasonable location where one would be able to record trains going over the diamond? I have had a look on google streetview and haven't been able to find anything satisfactory. Does such a thing exist?

Is there any reasonable location where one would be able to record trains going over the diamond? I have had a look on google streetview and haven't been able to find anything satisfactory. Does such a thing exist?
This is the closest you can get without trespassing into the rail corridor:
1679338481130.png

Or go to the south end of Davenport Village Park and look from the fence there:
1679338555107.png

Reactions: T3G
The odd time not that long ago, VIA used to wye the Canadian at Bayview Junction in Hamilton. I suspect that VIA might do this for next weekend, and depart Toronto along the Richmond Hill Line, the same way it enters the city.

They will likely just back up the Don Valley rather than go to all the trouble to run a train out to Oakville to turn it around. Much easier to keep things the same as every other train (for boarding, etc.) and then just back the train up to Doncaster, do the turn around there and head north.

This is the closest you can get without trespassing into the rail corridor:
View attachment 462727
Or go to the south end of Davenport Village Park and look from the fence there:
View attachment 462728
The first one is no longer available. The owners of that industrial plaza put up a fence preventing folks from getting behind the buildings.

Metrolinx rep was in the adjacent condo lobbies yesterday taking questions, I asked him when will they remove the diamond intersecting tracks. He said that CP will remove it on their own schedule probably in the summer or by fall of this year. This is contrary to what I was told by two separate metrolinx reps by email who stated that metrolinx has been commissioned to remove the tracks by CP who owns them. Now the rep in person saying something different….Typical metrolinx behaviour

Metrolinx rep was in the adjacent condo lobbies yesterday taking questions, I asked him when will they remove the diamond intersecting tracks. He said that CP will remove it on their own schedule probably in the summer or by fall of this year. This is contrary to what I was told by two separate metrolinx reps by email who stated that metrolinx has been commissioned to remove the tracks by CP who owns them. Now the rep in person saying something different….Typical metrolinx behaviour

I would believe the more recent statement. I can't believe CP would ever let ML get their hands on the CP tracks. CP will no doubt invoice ML, and perhaps they will use ML's contractor to do the work..... but they will control and schedule the work to their convenience.

- Paul

Final VIA train, and final transcontinental passenger train, over the diamond.

I can't remember if I posted the 1971 shot at the same location before. (apologies if it's a repeat).

What a change - and with all the new buildings going up, it's going to be a whole new city down that way.

- Paul

PS - crews looked to be getting good and ready to shift the track this weekend just north of Davenport.

20230322 VIA 1.jpg
1971SEP71T5B14 redone.jpg

Back