Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
So, an article on this development cross my FB feed, and what with @Edward Skira 's commitment to covering all of southern Ontario, I thought this would fit here.

The article is about redevelopment of the Collingwood Grain Terminals Site.

A few renders:

1680141423925.png

1680141454260.png

1680141498970.png

Above renders from: https://engage.collingwood.ca/collingwood-grain-terminals/widgets/112163/photos/32692

I was *just* reading the presentation on the local online news. It strikes me as pretty cool and creative use of an difficult space. It seems they still have to negotiate the details involving a mix of public and privately owned spaces. Collingwood has been trying to figure out what to do with the silos for years. Even to knock them down and start over would have been astonishingly expensive; moreso because they are located in an area that would be difficult to access with the necessary equipment.

I like the Silos restoration portion; the tower, as currently conceived, sticking out above the silos, looks a bit awkward to me.

Presuming the height wasn't simply trimmed back to fit the silos; I wonder if the building form couldn't mimic the silos using similar curves/scale and maybe blend a a bit better. Dunno. Need to think on a it a bit.

Sorta off topically silly question: I wonder with all these redevelopments of grain terminals to more residential/public use, where all the grain is being actually stored...as the demand for that commodity is likely growing as opposed to abating.

Very neat proposal, but seems far too ambitious/high end for such a small town, so I'm rather pessimistic about its realistic viability as rendered...

Very neat proposal, but seems far too ambitious/high end for such a small town, so I'm rather pessimistic about its realistic viability as rendered...

Not as small as you think; and growing rapidly. It's increased 25% in the last 5 years to 27,000++ That, of course, is misleading, since it's a catchment area for the broader resort communities nearby.

Sorta off topically silly question: I wonder with all these redevelopments of grain terminals to more residential/public use, where all the grain is being actually stored...as the demand for that commodity is likely growing as opposed to abating.

Grain silos are still in use.

What's changed is:

a) Mergers in the industry, plus larger ships/longer trains, mean less storage in smaller centres with smaller ports.

Of note, in this regard, Buffalo, NY once had (and may still have) the largest number of grain elevators in the world. Many are now in dis-use, but several are still a going concern last I heard.

b) The look of new silos on an industrial scale, just as on the proverbial family farm has changed.

Can Collingwood support this much new stock? Didn't the last condo up the street take a decade to sell enough to start building?

Would love to see this kind of thing proposed for Owen Sound - seems to me I saw a large grain silo complex on the waterfront there, last time I drove up to Tobermory. And yeah, Collingwood is definitely in a growth spurt. Lots of retirees heading up that way, bailing out of the city.

Grain silos are still in use.

What's changed is:

a) Mergers in the industry, plus larger ships/longer trains, mean less storage in smaller centres with smaller ports.

Of note, in this regard, Buffalo, NY once had (and may still have) the largest number of grain elevators in the world. Many are now in dis-use, but several are still a going concern last I heard.

b) The look of new silos on an industrial scale, just as on the proverbial family farm has changed.

Goodness, where Brutalism has moved to the country....

...back to my inquirey though, I suspected that was going on here...but wasn't really sure. So thank you for explaining that! /bows

Back