There are a pile of new renderings in the dataBase file, and a front page story here.

Pic taken Mar 18, 2014

6Baxamx.jpg

Looks like work is underway for a sales centre on site starting this morning.

The sales centre may be going up, but the building has been on the market for maybe a month. Ive attached floor plans in the real estate thread

I'm so glad those houses are going. One of the ugliest strips downtown.

I think you and I might be in the minority here, but I completely agree. Even though it's a strip of old homes, they're ugly and undignified for a downtown main street. Sure, they're a reminder of our smaller, provincial past...but that's exactly why I think they're ugly and undignified.

I know that this is not a very popular opinion these days, since I'm basically consigning history to the dumpster, and deliberately forgetting where we came from, blah, blah, blah, but there is something much more welcoming about a solid midrise that fits in with its surrounding midrise neighbours than a strip of homes that are now out of place and kept simply because of their age.

Usually I am in favour of preservation but these homes are not as lovely as some of the old victorians.

Back