Such nice bones to the building.

But holy crap.....the stucco, with the small uninviting 'retail' windows at ground level really missed that mark by a mile

These buildings are cornerstones to defining areas future revitalization. It's certainly not the 2150 bomb they did at Birchmount & Lawrence, but VHL really needs to do much better with new density

Last edited:
Ground level is terrible and shouldn't even be allowed. There would be a problem if they asked for more height, but not a peep about how the ground level meets the street which is arguably the most important part.

Why is this building turning its back to the street?
Because everyone here from the second floor up has a view over the bluffs to the lake… and because VHL are not particularly architecturally sophisticated.

IMG_4613.JPG
IMG_4621.JPG
IMG_4620.JPG
IMG_4619.JPG
IMG_4618.JPG
IMG_4617.JPG
IMG_4616.JPG
IMG_4615.JPG
IMG_4614.JPG

This building desperately needs some attractive awning to help salvage that grade level pedestrian retail experience.
But then how would we see all those vents with mismatched sizes? 🤣 :rolleyes: 🤮

Driving past I noticed that about 80% of the ground floor facade facing Kingston Rd was removed. From the west end to the condo entrance. Anyone know what’s going on? I didn’t see any recent building permits. The street frontage was quite bland so hopefully what is built is an improvement.

Driving past I noticed that about 80% of the ground floor facade facing Kingston Rd was removed. From the west end to the condo entrance. Anyone know what’s going on? I didn’t see any recent building permits. The street frontage was quite bland so hopefully what is built is an improvement.

Not sure; only permits are from Dec 1st, 2020.

That's a bit ago, but not out of the question.

They are for an office for Unit1

Signage via Streetview from January 2021 indicates this space was to be the site office of Merge Condos; it did not appear to be ready at the time.

Doesn't sound to be like the permits describe what you are seeing.

Hmmm!

No one was willing to pay their steep asking prices for the retail units. They are making work share spaces.

No one was willing to pay their steep asking prices for the retail units. They are making work share spaces.

For what they created, I'm not surprised.

I am curious why I don't see a permit pulled for that..............

I think gradually there would have been a demand for retail spaces here. But with how horribly unattractive the grade level along Kingston Road has been designed and the steep prices mentioned, then those were doomed to fail.

There need to be more buildings that meet the street (like the ones being built immediately to the west) to generate the foot traffic needed to support that sort of retail. That strip is a blank slate that will likely end up being another missed opportunity.

Back