AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

276 DAVISVILLE AVE
Ward 15: Don Valley West

Site Plan Approval for a 2-storey addition to the existing school. The proposed addition has an area of 5148 square metres, for a proposed total non-residential gross floor area of 9277 square metres.

----------
View of the school building, located on the northside of Davisville, just east of Mount Pleasant:

hodg.JPG

TDSB continues its efforts to make places of learning look like places of incarceration.
Schools should encourage children to learn.

Unfortunately, there is a mindset from out-of-touch educators that schools should be brain factories.

No wonder why many students call school "Hell" and that's one of the more polite ways to describe schools.

Good thing there is a new generation of educators who are more student-focused. Note that this school is located very close to the Geneva Centre for Autism located on Merton Street, which is a strong advocate for educational reform favouring the student.

I think the new render looks worse. At least the first render attempted to respect the original structure. The new one looks like it wouldn't be out of place in Milton or Vaughan.

I dont think the TDSB knows what they're doing anymore when it comes to school designs. They should just turn back things to how they did things in the late 90s and early 2000's and call it a day if they're that lost.

*taps mic*

You were right.........you are now right-er.

This to me is a way to displease everyone.

I'm one who has an appreciation for older styles of architecture and might be open to seeing the style of the original mimicked, but w/ some fresh take for the times.

Certainly anyone with a similar taste would be disappointed or aghast..............

But, I can respect someone being open to or preferring a more modern take...........but this isn't that either.......

It's just bad. In anytime period, within any style vernacular.

The word for this in in 1920, 1960, 1990 or 2023 is the same. 'Junk'.

I dont think the TDSB knows what they're doing anymore when it comes to school designs

My decently well informed understanding on this specific matter is that the reality is actually much more depressing -- those in charge of these decisions (which are ultimately a mix of people at TDSB and Toronto Lands Corp) actually strongly believe that they will be criticized for designs that are "too extravagant."

As a parent, I frankly find that perspective disgusting. I want our kids to be educated in the best, most uplifting, healthiest environments possible. Schools should be among the best buildings in the province, not the worst. The budget difference between that and the prison shit we get is relatively inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, so the only thing these people have to hide behind is their awful perspectives.

@ADRM is correct. I would just add that TDSB consistently hires the same few architecture firms, and in recent years only one of these (LGA) has any claim to design excellence.

Meanwhile TDCSB has hired some of the same people - but also DTAH and the excellent Kohn Shnier. They face the same constraints and answer to the same people, but some of their buildings are not bad.

No accounting for taste, etc.

@ADRM is correct. I would just add that TDSB consistently hires the same few architecture firms, and in recent years only one of these (LGA) has any claim to design excellence.

Meanwhile TDCSB has hired some of the same people - but also DTAH and the excellent Kohn Shnier. They face the same constraints and answer to the same people, but some of their buildings are not bad.

No accounting for taste, etc.

Within admittedly constrained budgets, I don't understand why they don't run design competitions. The accretive cost (if you reimbursed any qualified, credible submission for costs) is marginal. I think many players could do better on the
budgets in question.

That said, I also support higher budgets.

Alex, did this election promise in Quebec go anywhere?

If it did, I think it would be instructive to see the results.

Back