4.7K     0 

kalaso

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto home prices to keep rising

November 3, 2009

Tony Wong

BUSINESS REPORTER

Toronto housing prices will continue to rise next year by as much as 5 per cent, according to a forecast by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

Although price growth will slow, buyers looking for relief from the tight markets of 2009 will face another year of rising home values. The forecast said the average price of an existing home at the end of 2010 will be $412,000, compared with $392,540 by the end of this year.

The 5 per cent growth forecast is in line with the average annual increase for the decade.

The growth, the federal housing corporation said, will be fuelled by the sales of more single-detached housing. For the first time since 2006, low-rise homes will account for the majority of sales in the GTA this year and next, according to the forecast.

"With low interest rates people are buying more house or going to nicer neighbourhoods, which is helping average prices move upward," said Shaun Hildebrand, senior market analyst at the CMHC.

Even though prices and listings will move higher, sales for 2010 are actually expected to be down by 4.9 per cent as the market cools.

Sales this year are expected to surpass 2008 figures by 7.3 per cent.

"As the stimulative increases in demand becomes satisfied and market conditions begin to reflect underlying economic fundamentals, sales will slow in 2010," says Hildebrand.

"Affordability will moderate slightly next year, but will remain in check due to slow price growth and incremental interest rate increases."

This year the market has been characterized by a lack of listings, down by 17 per cent overall for the year compared with 2008, which has placed upward pressure on prices.

"A sense of uncertainty remains amongst sellers who will wait for the market to show signs of stability before putting their home on the market," the forecast said.

That should change next year when listings are forecast to go higher by 11 per cent as move-up buyers gain confidence in an economic recovery.

"This will bring the market into balanced territory next year," says Hildebrand.

While sales of single-detached homes have done well, the popular condo market seems to have fallen out of favour, at least in the short term.

A tougher selling environment for high-rise homes is expected to see a sales decline of 23 per cent this year, the lowest level since 2003.

"Construction delays and a heightened sense of uncertainty regarding new condominium projects this year has turned buyers away from pre-construction projects," says the CMHC.

"At the same time, less project launches have created fewer new options for buyers."

Improving youth employment and a shift toward lower-cost housing should see high-rise sales increase by 17 per cent by the end of 2010, according to the CMHC forecast.

The forecast also said weak employment within the key 25-44 age group of first-time home buyers will have an impact on the overall demand for Toronto home purchases next year.

However, continuing low mortgage rates should help keep the market going.

Posted rates should gradually increase in 2010 with a one-year rate expected to be in the 3.5 to 4.25 per cent range. A five-year mortgage rate should be in the 4.5 to 6 per cent range.

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/realestate/article/720111--toronto-home-prices-to-keep-rising

Indeed.

And there is no-one more objective about rising house prices than the gov't agency that makes it all possible.:)

The average price for a home in October 2009 was $423,559. With rising unemployment, huge budget deficits and widely anticipated hikes in mortgage rates it would just astound me if the average price for a home in October 2010 was $444,000+ with the average annual household income in Toronto of $69,125.

real estate prices have risen more than inflation for past 3 decades...

Correct, if you want to measure from a trough in 1979 to present (which I think we can all agree is not a trough?)

However, Toronto real estate prices have risen by significantly less than inflation for the past two decades (1989's near peak to present).

Everyone can have their opinion, but I just want to make sure that people understand the statistics/facts that are quoted

real estate prices have risen more than inflation for past 3 decades, 4-5% sounds ok, considering we have extremely low interest rate (which won't last forever...)

and 3 decades of unprecented growth doesn't sound odd ???
the typical business cycle lasts 7 years, and RE markets tend to follow.

Correct, if you want to measure from a trough in 1979 to present (which I think we can all agree is not a trough?)

However, Toronto real estate prices have risen by significantly less than inflation for the past two decades (1989's near peak to present).
Everyone can have their opinion, but I just want to make sure that people understand the statistics/facts that are quoted

i'm not sure i follow what you're saying ... from my research RE values have increased above inflation

i'm not sure i follow what you're saying ... from my research RE values have increased above inflation

Yikes!!! Well, I've just come back from a vacation and it appears that my brain has turned to mush.

http://cuer.sauder.ubc.ca/cma/data/ResidentialRealEstate/HousingPrices/housing-pri-toronto.pdf

As the above graph indicates, real prices have indeed clearly increased by 10-20% over the past 20 years. I'd misrembered the graph, thinking that the real prices line was actually the nominal prices line.

I appreciate the irony that I was claiming to provide more accurate facts, and yet was completely wrong.

Mind power and keystrokes are doubly squandered arguing or debating, publicly yet, with the likes of Ms. Davis (please treat this post as a testament to your huge success) and the great vampire squid marketing machine that is your friendly local TREB. Regardless of her personal intelligence or the efficacy of her ideas, any thoughts originating from such an absurdly bias source must be discounted enormously by the underlying message of 'strong stable housing market feeds more sales and bigger commissions'.

Last edited:
It is quit possible that the CHMC report forecast will be accurate. Unfortunately this information will be of almost no long term value for someone looking to purchase real estate and hold it for at least the next 5 years.

Agreed. The internet is the worst place for information. The most dependable source is the main stream media.

You don't think CMHC's data is reliable? Or at least, more reliable than someone on the internet who always chooses 1989 as a baseline year?

Equity returns from 1999 to 2002 were terrible. The lesson, of course, is that anyone who invests in stocks is a moron right?

You don't think CMHC's data is reliable? Or at least, more reliable than someone on the internet who always chooses 1989 as a baseline year?

Equity returns from 1999 to 2002 were terrible. The lesson, of course, is that anyone who invests in stocks is a moron right?

I have not questioned the accuracy of CMHC's data. I don't always choose 1989 as a baseline year. And I've never said that investing in stocks is for morons.

What about you? You don't think one plus one equals two? Or at least closer to two than three? It was cold yesterday, therefore anyone who doesn't think it will be cold tomorrow is a moron right?

What's that? You think that the preceeding paragraph is a waste of space, and is just a sequence of baseless cheap shots which add no value?

I fully agree. And now you know my opinion of your last two posts in this thread.

Last edited:
Now, now daveto....why so bearish on Toronto RE? Lighten up a little....you only live once!

Now, now daveto....why so bearish on Toronto RE? Lighten up a little....you only live once!

Just drink the koolaid because it tastes so sweet? There are other drinks out there, and I'm happy spending my money on them instead.

Back