The roadway is too narrow through central Toronto for a surface Crosstown LRT line, so they get it in a subway. Brampton suggests the same treatment and somehow they're forbidden from getting mass transit in perpetuity? How's that fair?

Because Brampton isn't central Toronto? I mean, are we really trying to compare that stretch of Main to Eglinton - with two additional interchange stations and especially an urban centre with umpteen times the density? Also Brampton has also put forth a zillion reasons as to why they didn't want it on Main (lack of development potential/ridership growth/other priorities) - only defaulted back to Main but with tunnel as a condition when the province didn't play ball with them. So, why would a ride with no growth potential requires a tunnel - and only after a second round of consideration - is beyond me.

Never say in perpetuity of course - but forseeable future, in the absence of a change of mind? You bet. Now if you are comparing it against say the Eglinton West burial plan and this, perhaps there is a good point - and more about the irrationality of the latter than the defensibly of the former.

They are.

They just feted good old Bill Davis, who was a big opponent of this. Guess putting it in the middle of a highway was a better choice :rolleyes:

AoD

Last edited:
Because Brampton isn't central Toronto? I mean, are we really trying to compare that stretch of Main to Eglinton - with two additional interchange stations and especially an urban centre with umpteen times the density? Also Brampton has also put forth a zillion reasons as to why they didn't want it on Main (lack of development potential/ridership growth/other priorities) - only defaulted back to Main but with tunnel as a condition when the province didn't play ball with them. So, why would a ride with no growth potential requires a tunnel - and only after a second round of consideration - is beyond me.

Never say in perpetuity of course - but forseeable future, in the absence of a change in mind? You bet. Now if you are comparing it against say the Eglinton West burial plan and this, perhaps there is a good point - and more about the irrationality of the latter than the defensibly of the former.

AoD
^ That's not entirely correct. It's not a "condition" it's one of the options that will be studied. Yes, the Mayor wants it has his preferred option. But the actual text of the motion adopted indicates that the surface options will still be studied with the results concluding in the summer of 2021.

May 2019 minutes below with underlining added. Note the "and the original Hurontario-Main Light Rail Transit Approved route" which is the surface alignment. The tunneling option is being studied in "addition" not exclusively. So the tunnel is an option not a "condition". Also, they will look at a surface "Main-George One-Way Loop" and a tunnel version of the loop. As a refresher I've included below the options being studied. Of course, it's possible as we've seen in Toronto for a Council to change it's mind so who knows if there will be a further vote in the future (ie before the addendum is done) to further narrow the options.

1575043956218.png

1575044263598.png

1575044320558.png

^ IMO, either option 1 or 2 are supportable. If they re-apply for funding, their application should be treated favorably, and considered on par with any other projects submitted by other municipalities.

If the city wants a tunnel, then they should be asked to cover the cost diff between the surface and the tunnel option, using their property taxes or other municipal sources.

Jeffreys also noted
- municipality wasn’t equipped to understand the concept or purpose
- To never give up on lobbying with politicians and don’t underestimate them
- Always be willing to explain stuff to them. Don't assume they know anything
- She gave a big shout out to Metrolinx for their professionalism on the HMLRT file
When Metrolinx was created, I thought it was exactly for the purpose of ramming inter-regional stuff through in place of nimby-ism. I was wrong and this will cost Brampton for years. Same little minds as City of Toronto. They couldn’t come to grips with transit expansion either. But they can sure do a good job of speed bumps.

When Metrolinx was created, I thought it was exactly for the purpose of ramming inter-regional stuff through in place of nimby-ism. I was wrong and this will cost Brampton for years. Same little minds as City of Toronto. They couldn’t come to grips with transit expansion either. But they can sure do a good job of speed bumps.

Brampton hasn't wanted it for at least 5-10 years. Maybe the pain will help them and others learn to be progressive.

This hurts my head.. Brampton doesn't have over crowding issues that needs the LRT anyway. Idk bout y'all but the relief line is a likkle different from Brampton

Why is he asking for a tunnel while the city is still in the middle of studying all the options. :rolleyes:

Why is he asking for a tunnel while the city is still in the middle of studying all the options. :rolleyes:

Because only the most trusting would actually believe it is actually a study to select the choice, and not the other way around :rolleyes: Not a condition? It sounds exactly like one to me.

AoD

I'm glad nobody is listening to Brampton at this point, they made their bed and now they should lie on it. They had the funding and chose not to be a part of this project. It's complete insanity to expect government funding after all of this money and time has been wasted.

This hurts my head.. Brampton doesn't have over crowding issues that needs the LRT anyway. Idk bout y'all but the relief line is a likkle different from Brampton

Today, yes.

Tomorrow, no. The cities in Canada are moving away from low density to higher density. Includes infill developments and replacement developments of single-story anything with multi-story buildings coming soon to a sprawl near you.

See link. Like Agincourt Mall, Cloverdale Mall, Galleria On The Park, etc.

Back