"But if recommended, such a dramatic shakeup of the city's bus-only system is at least 15 years away, he said."

15 years for a streetcar on Hurontario? How long would it really take if they wanted to start tomorrow?

If you are advocating for better service from MT north of the 407, it might be worth looking into Brampton paying Mississauga Transit to operate increased service to Shoppers World or for BT to take over that portion of the route with a new Regional Terminal at 407.

No, that is not the issue, but you can add it to the list. It is the 19 itself.

The current service changes only bring back the service that was there in 2005 and does not address the other changes that took place for 19A or the need for better service.

19A needs to go future north than it does now at Britannia as it is mostly empty until Eglinton.

I am not holding my breath on the GO 407 service.

It will be like the under use 403-407 service that is in place now as well paying 2 fares with GO being over kill.

Going north of 407 is cause by Hazel and it is time she understand Hurontario must be run by *ONE* transit system from top to bottom for both cities and that will be MT.

The day of running 2 or more system on the same road is coming to an end to create a seamless system and reduce the need to transfer from one system to another.

Do you know how much the issue will be for BT to carry riders from the 407 to Shoppers World to replace MT service as well inconvenient transit riders? You try traveling this under service section as well justifying the cost of empty buses.

The same thing should happen to Kennedy Rd and Dixie Rd also.

Just to let you know, there is a Transit Form Summit taking place on Nov 4 were *ALL* the mayors, transit directors and all level of Government official are to look at the GTTA system as how the GTAA will meet riders needs form the riders point, not the way it is now. Also, it will be the first step in the creation of a master transit plan for the GTA

The LRT needs to run the full lenght of Hurontario in both cities.

15 years for a streetcar on Hurontario? How long would it really take if they wanted to start tomorrow?

Hmmm, well in Toronto it takes 6 years to plan an expansion of a platform at Union Station.

15 years to plan, fund and build a dedicated LRT line along the entire length of Hurontario Street, which could be compared to building the Yonge Subway Line from Queen's Quay to Finch, sounds reasonable.

Louroz

If you are advocating for better service from MT north of the 407, it might be worth looking into Brampton paying Mississauga Transit to operate increased service to Shoppers World or for BT to take over that portion of the route with a new Regional Terminal at 407.

Why would Brampton pay Mississauga anything? There are way more Brampton routes crossing the border
than Mississauga routes.

Also, I don't see any point in a regional transit terminal at the 407. There is nothing there and it will just force
people to transfer needlessly. If anything the 19/202 should be extended to Downtown Brampton (notice how it is called 202, and not 209?).

In any case, it is not just Hurontario north of 407 that has major problems, pretty much the whole corridor north of QEW has always had this problem, and it is north of Eglinton that has suffered a lot since the introduction of the 19A.

I'm a firm believer that any extra service along Hurontario should be focused along the area between Cooksville and Heartland which has the highest concentration of riders and density. Anything north of the 401 is secondary to the needs of the centre of Mississauga where the demand for services is greater.

Louroz

I'm a firm believer that any extra service along Hurontario should be focused along the area between Cooksville and Heartland which has the highest concentration of riders and density. Anything north of the 401 is secondary to the needs of the centre of Mississauga where the demand for services is greater.

If it is north of Britiannia where most of the overcrowding is occuring, then it is north of Brittania where the demand for service is higher and that's where the service improvements should be concentrated, it's as simple as that.

I'm a firm believer that any extra service along Hurontario should be focused along the area between Cooksville and Heartland which has the highest concentration of riders and density.

I'm glad you're not running any transit systems (especially as the Queensway to Dundas section you would leave out can be extremely crowded as well). Though you might be qualified for GO Transit.

^Not that long.

Well, it depends. If they build a stub line that terminates in the south before the QEW, then yes, you could possibly get it started right away since hurontario has been widened it seems so many times.

But the problem is the QEW, I believe they are going to make improvements to that section but that takes time. It doesn't make any sence though to build the LRT that doesn't connect to Port Credit GO.

I'm happy with the service," said Lana Richards, another rider who waited on a grassy slope for the bus. "They've expanded a number of routes, and it's quite frequent." She wasn't seduced by the idea of streetcar or light rail service. "What's the point?" she asked. "Why fix something that's working?".
Surprising, there are people that think MT has a great system compare to what they had to use else where. Then there are people who only use MT to get to/from the GO station 5 days a week and use the car the rest of the time that think MT is great. But the true transit rider will tell you MT sucks. You notices only the people who say nice thing get written up…………….Oppss…I did get written up once for saying bad things on transit.

OH!! You are saying people should not work for a company north of 401 let along live there as you don't count if you DO?

If that the case who is going to help to pay the city needs cost wises if no one works or lives north of 401???

OH!! you must have a car to live and work in Mississauga and by doing so, you create more health cost and gridlock on the road.

I'm glad you're not running any transit systems (especially as the Queensway to Dundas section you would leave out can be extremely crowded as well). Though you might be qualified for GO Transit.

He would fail there also as he has no idea what transit should do.

He needs to spend a few hours a day as well a few months just to look at Hurontario in total between the hours of 3-7 for week days service and all day Sat and Sun to see to see what his blind folder is hiding. Try getting on a 19S at Derry Rd. Then look at the 19AN from Sq One to see a waste of money and service. (By the way, I travel at various time of the day to see this)

if it is north of Britiannia where most of the overcrowding is occuring, then it is north of Brittania where the demand for service is higher and that's where the service improvements should be concentrated; it's as simple as that.
North of Britiannia and Dundas are the 2 concentrated points that are on Hurontario. Sq One ranks 3rd.

Then go over to Mavis Rd to see what is going on for #61 that stops service at 7.00 pm on the weekend. This will prove that by living north of the 401 in this area, you do not meet the needs of the core and you MUST have a car.

As for the 407 terminal, he has bought in to GO thinking since his great friend is on the board. The service GO think they will get and what they will get are 2 animals that will never mate.

If you are a strong believer on Cooksville, then why does the Hurontario service sucks 7 days a week? I have the data and pictures to backup myself on this. Just ask Hazel for them.

Transit is not Just Mississauga or Brampton or Toronto, it is the whole GTA as people cross the borders on a daily base. I cross 3 today using transit.

By rights, there is no reason why an LRT line cannot be in service by 2013, if not 2012. You will need 2 years for the EA, a year to prepared the plans and tender 2 to 3 years to build it depending on what going to take place at Sq One for it. You will need about 6 months of testing and training. You can cut off time if drawings were started during the final EA approval as it will not see the opposition to it as other EA’s I have been involved with over the past 5 years have.

You need to build a carhouse for the LRT’s for not only this line, but 6 other lines that are need for the city. Wonder will the city find the land to house 150 LRT’s, let along the LRT for this line.

OH!!!!!.................when the LRT start service, does this mean that the WHOLE line will see the same level of service or will it see the 2 tier like we do today??????

TTC has got the cost to construct a total new line down to $600 per foot per rail that does not have to be rebuilt for 20-30 years today. The cost to replace the top layer of concrete and rails will be less than it is today, depending on inflation. The main base does not have to be rebuilt for 100 yrs or more and that is where the real cost is. Go up to St Clair to see how TTC is building their new ROW as I was up there this week and shoot a number of picture for it.

If the city core develops like I see it over the next 15 years, you need develop along the corridors to take the pressure off the core, otherwise it will be gridlock 7/24 for the core.

By the way have you walked around the whole Heartland area by foot? I you have, it is not a nice place for walking.

The QEW is an issue and I thought work was supposed to start this year for putting in the new off/on ramps. The relocation of the traffic lights in advance of construction took place early this year alone with the stacking of the land.

"15 years to plan, fund and build a dedicated LRT line along the entire length of Hurontario Street"

Even backed by the might and majesty of the McCallion Empire? We're basically talking about streetcars between two little lumps of concrete.

"which could be compared to building the Yonge Subway Line from Queen's Quay to Finch"

No, they can't be compared. Might as well compare it to a bullet train or a trained elephant course.

especially as the Queensway to Dundas section you would leave out can be extremely crowded as well

Cooksville includes everything south to the QEW. I live along Hurontario Street along Kirwin Avenue in the heart of Cooksville. I grew up in this area all my life, I am a daily user of Mississauga Transit. I am fully aware of the issues facing both Mississauga Transit and Brampton Transit. I personally know both Bill at MT and Sue at BT on the United Way of Peel Region of Board of Directors. So please, don't try insulting me.

Louroz

scarberian at first i thought u meant brampton and mississauga when you said "a streetcar between two lumps of concrete". and i was about to say i was offended by this, but then i realized you meant the phyiscal bumps of concrete which somehow make a streetcar an LRT lol. i find it funny now :p

"Streetcars between two little lumps of concrete" is not an accurate description of Brampton and Mississauga because Brampton and Mississauga are not little.

Back