I am not a fan of penny pinching for stations or stop designs. When it comes to subway stations, infinitely more cash would be saved by not running subways where they don't belong instead of making a minimalist station. People will use the service either way, but it will be more pleasantly remembered if the station looks like an inviting public place, instead of a bathroom.

As for the LRT, there is being minimalist and then there is uselessness. The stop offers near zero protection from the elements, at the very least an enclosed waiting area should have been included.
Well it’s so subjective it’s hard to decide what should be essential and what not. I guess the Spadina line terminals are more obvious than what is appropriate for being minimal. I agree that it would be far better to save money by not building subways where they don’t belong. Somehow though that’s exactly what we do over and over again. I guess we’re saving money on the Ontario Line. The one place we should have over spent.

We could technically call it the H&M Line?
Now there's an idea! I feel like this is something Metrolinx can get behind too, it even fits Doug's stupid station naming rights scheme so he can go grab $250K/yr from H&M which I know would be just oh so handy for the province.

It would work for Hazel McCallion, it works for H&M, it works for Doug, and it works for Metrolinx. Everyone is happy in the end!

Now there's an idea! I feel like this is something Metrolinx can get behind too, it even fits Doug's stupid station naming rights scheme so he can go grab $250K/yr from H&M which I know would be just oh so handy for the province.

It would work for Hazel McCallion, it works for H&M, it works for Doug, and it works for Metrolinx. Everyone is happy in the end!
And it works for Her Majesty too!

Jan 24
Had a few free hours before a meeting with the weather being nice, decided to take a look at the mid section of the line. Had to do some head scratching as I am at a lost with a fair number of things I saw.

2 girders sitting on the trailers on the 403 overpass waiting for the other 2 to show up before erecting them over the 403 eastbound off ramp as that area is 100% complete.

They were stripping the pier at Rathburn and City View with that form being use to finish off the top section including the bearing plates the the one east of it. All the other ones are completed for that section. Nothing has taken place for the north 403 pier. They are excavating the north-west location of City View and Rathburn for a pier.

To the west of the intersection, a pier top being form about 15' above the road with an other pier about 20' east of this one waiting for the column to be formed, Very close to each others compared to the ones already built. About 100' to the west of this pier, foundation work underway tor the pier that support the ramp to the grade level as well start the elevation line.

Matheson is now full built and open with no idea when it happen as it was only haft built before Christmases.

Matheson area starts the head scratching starting with the platform. As it stands, the platform will only support 1 42m LRV at this time with room to support 2 if it being built in sections. If not, still room to do it down the road. The guideway road curb has been rebuilt in a number of spots with 2 of those locations seeing about 10' with an extra 10 inches of concrete on top of the curb. This is the only locations I saw for those 2 walls on each side. I guess the concrete failed or poor workmanship that require various section of the curb to be rebuilt in this area as well north of Waltline intersection.

The next head scratching area is at Trader intersection area. Last year there was a huge area that was fully pour of concrete and assuming this area would see crossover tracks based on what was done. Today, that whole area has been 100% torn up and removed, waiting for what every is to happen there. Where the tracks currently stop in this area see the track base flush with the top of the curb and then slop to about a foot below the road itself.

Very small crew on site for this area as they are preparing the overhang tracks to either have concrete pour to match rest of the track or it has already been done since the rails have been splice to the rails between intersections and are coverup with heaters heating the areas.

Ambassador intersection fully completed and open with no idea when it took place. Only partly built before Christmas.

Courtneypark Intersection is being prepared for the next intersection to see trackwork done.

Kingsway Intersection was supposed to open on Monday and will be a few days late as they were stripping the top coat of asphalt so the road can be raise to cross the tracks with new asphalt. Paving machine on site and subject to weather.

Topflight has 50% of its base pour with no one on site for the first section.

The inbound track is pour as far as it can go at this time until the rest of the base can be built up to Topflight. The track is fully pour concrete as traffic will run on top of the tracks.

The west side barrier wall on the 401 overpass have been rebuilt with the new style railing on top of it. Work underway on the eastside of the overpass, with haft of the wall height remove. Grading taking place to shift the on ramps lanes to the east for both direction.

No photos as this time, as I have yet to download them to the computer. Never got to look at various areas I was planning on doing due to lack of time and only saw them while passing them on a bus. Saw a lot more than what I am posting at this time.

Last edited:
Jan 22
1674653908293.jpeg

1674653937850.jpeg

1674653959937.jpeg

1674653999762.jpeg

Some John street photos and video along with Port Credit station photos will be posted later in the week.

Jan 22
View attachment 452357
View attachment 452358
View attachment 452359
View attachment 452360
Some John street photos and video along with Port Credit station photos will be posted later in the week.
Great shots. The next time you do the area, you should shoot Rathburn to the west to se the other piers. That orange cover pier is now strip and you can see the pier still to be finish off.

The one thing that stands out from your shot by the 403 where the 2 elevated lines will meet that will be on grade land is the how sharp curve will be to go south as well going north to Sq One Station unless I am miss reading it.

Fail to mention that transit signals are in place at the finish intersection along with new traffic signal that are cover up. Transit Signal post is in between the tracks on both side of the intersection and tall. Lets hope they use the bar style.
133A6727.JPG

133A6768.JPG
133A6775.JPG

Get over to exchange plaza south.
I was there on the 1st of January and will return in February.

Are they still dumping there or is something else happening?

Jan 24
Shot 69 in the short time I was out and no clue when all of them will be up on my site due to the backlog to the point I am only work on Oct 11 shots now with close to 3000 still to do.

Rathburn
133A6759.JPG
133A6766.JPG

Matheson
133A6717.JPG
133A6720.JPG
133A6724.JPG
133A6733.JPG
133A6740.JPG

Looking at this area as well to the north of it again from the photos, the whole area has to be raise so the rail is at the top of the curb as seen 2 photos above from my point of view.
133A6729.JPG

Topflight
133A6745.JPG

Inbound track with one thick base. No idea why a post is there like it is at other locations. Still got to build the outbound track
133A6753.JPG

It seems more than dumping but I’m not a construction expert. There was multiple big machines on the site.
If you are talking the dumping area, they have equipment there to build the area up as well keep it clean for the truck. Other than that, nothing going on for the area at this time.

Back