Let me tie up some of the Brampton situation and points mentioned above for anyone interested in context on the situation since 2015 LRT rejection:
The City is undergoing an Integrated Development Plan downtown to widen sidewalks on Main St which will remove 2 of the current 4 lanes forcing the new surface route into mixed traffic.

1) The original iteration of this Downtown IDP project was created by the Nimby's on council who voted down the LRT: Elaine Moore, her faction tried to block any future surface LRT after the 2015 vote. It was scaled back by 6 progressive councilors last term to allow an LRT to be constructed in 2 lanes without ripping up millions of dollars in interlocking Brick, the resurfacing of the 2 lanes will be cheaper asphalt. Urgency was forced on pushing this through by Region of Peel demanding to begin long overdue watermain replacement and other utility work and upgrade Main St in parallel.

View attachment 453468

2) A solution to the new mixed traffic problem is to get cars off Main St and utilize the ring of bypasses around downtown which the upcoming Queen BRT is likely to make use of. Make Main St open for transit, cycling and pedestrians only, vehicles will plummet through the corridor and used more for local traffic. It makes sense with the current 5,000 daily Algoma University students, 700 TMU/Rogers Cybersecurity students in the area rapidly growing along with countless other projects potentially coming, like a Rogers HQ (from 8200 Dixie, 2,000 workers) relocation plus a dozen condo towers and counting near the Go station.

View attachment 453456

3) Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster has priority on extending this LRT north and is averse to the 1 stop tunnel costs below.
View attachment 453462View attachment 453460

4) Ontario Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy made it clear that the business case and costs matter where the tunnel falls short significantly. An extra Billion dollars for 1 stop tunnel over a 4 stop surface route including important stops like Gage Park/City Hall doesn't make business sense.
View attachment 453464

5) Mayor Patrick Brown is still pushing his priority of the Tunnel, going as far to publicly attack the surface route and highlight the 2 lane bottleneck, he's obsessed with a compromise plan to pacify the minority voices of Downtown groups and 3 opposing members on council. Since the fall election, 2 have been replaced by progressives. The Brampton Nimbys are outnumbered and have lost their puppets on council. People in the city are upset as they watch the LRT being built to Steeles, once it becomes in operation it will be a physical daily reminder to all.

View attachment 453465

View attachment 453466

5) Despite Brown's strategy to attack the surface route, today 5/6 of the Nimby Councillors who voted against the 2015 surface route are gone and replaced by younger progressives who were angered at that decision. If we are forced to a vote over the surface again, it's a damn good chance for it to pass with a strong majority even if Brown, Palleschi and any other wildcard oppose which would be horrible optics in a future election for them.

View attachment 453470View attachment 453472View attachment 453473

6) All 5 PC MPP's in Brampton signed a commitment for funding the tunnel route before the 2022 Provincial election pushed by Brown at Council. Sure, makes a good photo op, but the folks who actually control the purse strings and design transit are already showing their disproval on the tunnel that was previously rejected by City of Brampton Staff in 2014/2015 by their own recommendation. We know the value of PC MPP's in Brampton who supported canceling Ryerson University, Go Rail bypass on Kitchener line, cut funding to Erin Oaks Kids facility for autism, half assed response to Peel Memorial. They're all just backbenchers falling in line with the party command.

7) With the 30% Design Docs out this spring for BOTH Tunnel and Surface route, hopefully we can get some of these government officials chiming in on funding to direct council on dropping the most unfeasible plan. Brown is likely going to want to put all our eggs in one Tunnel basket and try to kill off the surface route as he's been priming this month. All this would do is kick the can down the road indefinitely. If we can ditch the tunnel and get another funding commitment, City council is in a good position to get this LRT further north especially with 50/50 funded Fed/Provincial agreement as Hamilton received.
Any portion funded by residents as most likely asked with the Tunnel is going to be very unpopular with residents. Nobody is going to want to foot a cent out of tax dollars for any fraction of a Billion dollar tunnel when we had a fully funded surface solution that is still feasible.

Small clarification for 6):

The pledge (or whatever you want to call it) was also signed by the 2021 federal election candidates from all parties. It didn't say "tunnel" specifically on it (see here and here), but the 50% amount matches the 50% figure for a tunnel, which as noted above was based on the only high-level estimate by staff available to date (it was provided in 2019). That's why the 2023 number will be interesting. The "tunnel" word was added for the 2022 provincial election pledge (hard to see but example here; not specifically mentioned here but the broken link below might have it.) It was then mentioned in this 2022 document (see "City Advocates for Provincial Funding at Association of Municipalities of Ontario" - it opens a PDF). The addition of the word might be related to when Council expressed its preference. I can't remember what month/year that was.

Just as an interesting comparison, Toronto Council has expressed its preference (with cost implications to be picked up by others because they didn't pledge any of their own funds within the motions themselves) for many transit projects over the years: Davenport Diamond, fully tunneled Eglinton West LRT, the Ontario Line being fully tunneled, changes to the Scarborough-Durham BRT, and I guess the ultimate example, the Scarborough Subway Extension.

Just as an interesting comparison, Toronto Council has expressed its preference (with cost implications to be picked up by others because they didn't pledge any of their own funds within the motions themselves) for many transit projects over the years: Davenport Diamond, fully tunneled Eglinton West LRT, the Ontario Line being fully tunneled, changes to the Scarborough-Durham BRT, and I guess the ultimate example, the Scarborough Subway Extension.

The leverage in Toronto is a different scale over Brampton which is underfunded in every aspect, especially with Ford favouritism in their former ridings. Brampton's business case for the tunnel to "preserve heritage" and not running an electric wire/LRT vehicle in front of McMansions for the extra cost equivalent to a needed hospital doesn't seem achievable with our pull. If they're foolish enough to fund the tunnel, I'll keep my mouth shut and take it. I'm not holding my breath.
Right now, we need to make sure the surface option continues forward after the 30% design docs are released and not put on the backburner for the tunnel route that is so far attracting negative outlooks from Metrolinx, Finance Minister and probably more as the months progress. I hope the 2 higher governments can just agree to fund the surface route with the 30% docs and end this game at Brampton council.

Last edited:
Brampton's business case for the tunnel to "preserve heritage" and not running an electric wire/LRT vehicle in front of McMansions for the extra cost equivalent to a needed hospital doesn't seem achievable with our pull.

Just for context, the June 2021 pros and cons for the tunnel and surface options were outlined by staff here, and were based on several criteria, not just heritage. So, when "Brampton" is being referenced, there are several different voices - staff, Council, residents with opinions, the local chamber of commerce (Brampton Board of Trade), the local Downtown Brampton BIA, etc.

LRT sharing the road with cars would be a bad idea if it were for a longer stretch, but this is a tiny portion of Hurontario, and the LRT has, what, 2 stops in this area? LRTs do not destroy "character" of an area, if anything, they increase it if they are well maintained. This stretch is effectively 1 lane in each direction already due to on-street parking. No one is expecting a high-speed thoroughfare. Just run the darn LRT. People will adjust. Sheesh.

Drove past the LRT-only bridge (I prefer the name flying junction personally) on the 403 earlier this evening, and it looks like all the girders have now been installed between the junction and Centreview Drive.

Midday on January 31st. They were installing the girders for the middle-right span by 4pm:
Flyover.png
Flyover 2.png

Last edited:
A follow up on the latest girder installation:
View attachment 453887View attachment 453888View attachment 453889
Somehow it still feels too high at the intersection but i guess its just right for traffic clearance.

The span along Hurontario for comparison:

View attachment 453890View attachment 453891View attachment 453892
Still have to build a pier on both side of City View Dr as well another to the west alone with the other 3 on Rathburn currently being built.

As for heights, ML taking no chance of something may hit the guideway from my point of view. 5m is a good clearance.

Still have to build the 403 end piers.

Don't know about others, but have not seen any substations for the line yet and will be interesting to see how they stack up to the ones on Eglinton Crosstown Line.

I wouldn’t call the large homes on Main Street “McMansions”. McMansions to me means they were built as part of a subdivision development. These are older homes.

Actually, "McMansion" usually means custom builds replacing older, smaller homes.

Last edited:
Actually, "McMansion" usually means custom builds replacing older, smaller homes.
I read somehwhere in Mississauga that the average square feet in the 90s was around 2400 square feet. The average in the 2000s 4000 square feet. Maybe I just don’t know any subdivision’s that big but I assumed what that number told me was that basically they had run out of land and any new build was a tear down with a custom McMansion.

Back