February 25 2023
06D8F6E1-C324-4151-8894-3DC8C04BE9EB.jpeg

You don't grout under the tracks if you are digging that area out.

You can grout on either side of the excavation, but here they've driven mini-piles instead to secure the soil.

They were supposed to start the work in earnest in early January, but were told to stand-down the crews shortly before that - I think it may have had to do with the rail workers strike. I haven't been told since when they will be starting.

Dan
I am going by what I have been told and question that based on what I have seen so far.

The schedule I was given was an Feb/March date for work to start taking place.

I have been given misleading info a number of times from email sent to me.

Before the rail bridge went in, they had drill a number tubes in the centre of the tracks and beside it.

Looking at a photos I shot on Feb 10 and not up loaded yet, looks like they are doing something to the box itself.
133A7080.JPG
133A7081.JPG
133A7082.JPG
133A7083.JPG

133A7057.JPG

No materials posted yet but there is a Brampton Council workshop tomorrow at 930am and the Hurontario LRT Extension Study (aka Main LRT) is on the agenda.
1677461865513.png

The Brampton LRT extension North to Brampton Go costs have skyrocketed due to new design considerations and inflation.

Tunnel is $2.8 Billion vs $933 Million for surface. These numbers are now mindblowing over the original ~$300M in 2015. The tunnel costs are accelerating to the point that we just went from a $1B gap between the 2 options to almost $2B gap. I'm sure the Metrolinx CEO and Ontario Finance Minister have colourful comments at these new numbers.

Surface needs to lower grade on Main street at the CN bridge crossing, they changed the 2015 surface stop to an underground stop and there's inflation costs shown in the breakdowns below.

The Tunnel now has an underground stop at Nanwood since the portal (tunnel entrance) was forced further south by the TRCA because of the Etobicoke creek flood plain.
They also added an underground pedestrian entrance point at Garden Square in Queen st.

1677520850820.png

Surface Breakdown
1677520709910.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tunnel Breakdown

1677520733638.png

The underground section has a new proposed entrance at Garden Square (Where the CIBC building is, now housing an Algoma Student services centre).
They also had to extend the underground section for the southern tunnel entrance by 270m because of the Flood plain.
TRCA said that Riverwalk flood mitigiation can't be taken into these design consideration since it's not completed. Forces a new underground station at Nanwood.

1677520794429.png

Mayor Patrick Brown was still adamant at proceeding with the Tunnel regardless of the figures, comparing this 4 stop stretch from Steeles- Queen (Church st) at $2.8B to the $3.4 B Hamilton LRT (17 stops). As if the costs are still justified based on number alone and not the actual value/business case you get with it.

Brown also attacked the Ottawa Surface LRT to undermine the surface route even though over 90% of this Hurontario line is still on the surface.
Council still seems to be pushing forward with the Tunnel as priority after the 30% Preliminary Design documents come out for both routes and possibly putting surface on the backburner so they don't get "25 cents on the dollar" in their ask according to his words.

Last edited:
The Brampton LRT extension North to Brampton Go costs have skyrocketed due to new design considerations and inflation.

Tunnel is $2.8 Billion vs $933 Million for surface. These numbers are now mindblowing over the original ~$300M in 2015. The tunnel costs are accelerating to the point that we just went from a $1B gap between the 2 options to almost $2B gap. I'm sure the Metrolinx CEO and Ontario Finance Minister have colourful comments at these new numbers.

Surface needs to lower grade on Main street at the CN bridge crossing, they changed the 2015 surface stop to an underground stop and there's inflation costs shown in the breakdowns below.

The Tunnel now has an underground stop at Nanwood since the portal (tunnel entrance) was forced further south by the TRCA because of the Etobicoke creek flood plain.
They also added an underground pedestrian entrance point at Garden Square in Queen st.

View attachment 458846

Surface Breakdown
View attachment 458841

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tunnel Breakdown

View attachment 458843

The underground section has a new proposed entrance at Garden Square (Where the CIBC building is, now housing an Algoma Student services centre).
They also had to extend the underground section for the southern tunnel entrance by 270m because of the Flood plain.
TRCA said that Riverwalk flood mitigiation can't be taken into these design consideration since it's not completed. Forces a new underground station at Nanwood.

View attachment 458845

Mayor Patrick Brown was still adamant at proceeding with the Tunnel regardless of the figures, comparing this 4 stop stretch from Steeles- Queen (Church st) at $2.8B to the $3.4 B Hamilton LRT (17 stops). As if the costs are still justified based on number alone and not the actual value/business case you get with it.

Brown also attacked the Ottawa Surface LRT to undermine the surface route even though over 90% of this Hurontario line is still on the surface.
Council still seems to be pushing forward with the Tunnel as priority after the 30% Preliminary Design documents come out for both routes and possibly putting surface on the backburner so they don't get "25 cents on the dollar" in their ask according to his words.
That’s the system we created. Cry for under ground until it’s 100000% NO. Because this negotiation tactic worked in two previous places (danforth extension and eglinton west lrt) why wouldn’t someone ask for underground even if it costs a fortune. Next up is sheppard. There’s only one tax payer until it comes to over building transit.

Only one of the six councillors who voted against the LRT in 2013-2014 is still on council. The Elaine Moore crowd screwed things up so much, and meanwhile, it's going to be a huge mess at Steeles Avenue when the LRT terminal is set for the south side - meaning digging up that intersection again - with hundreds of transferring passengers every hour, crossing two very busy streets.

There's so much to be angry about, but of course they'll ask for a tunnel - which will be longer and more expensive than they envisioned because of Etobicoke Creek. If Doug Ford's going around recklessly spending elsewhere, why shouldn't Brampton - which has been neglected by Queen's Park, since at least since 1985 - get a share of the gravy?

View attachment 458846

Surface Breakdown
View attachment 458841

Tunnel Breakdown

View attachment 458843

View attachment 458845

Jesus christ just build it Cut and Cover at the very least.

Jesus christ just build it Cut and Cover at the very least.
No No as it will interfere with those 4 wheel single vehicles and it has to be done by an TBM..............Geee!!!👿

I doubt Brampton will get this LRT. The Councillors can fight over the tunneled alignment as much as they want, but I would be nonplussed if the Premier or Bethanfalvy signed off on this boondoggle.

And, as a former resident of Brampton, a pox on the former Council.

No photos as I had issues with both cameras and looks like the DSRL has to go in for repairs.

Took a quick drive on Hurontario from PC to the 401 to show the Son what is going since since he move to NB 4 years ago. Real slow driving the route today.

Lots of work underway. Barondale intersection has yet to see any concrete base.

More foundation base Been worked on Rathburn. West retaining wall form and being pour up to the new Englewood bridge support.

See no change to the box at PC.

DO NOT Visit Dundas And Hurontario March 17-20

Allow 20 Plus minute extra travel time to get around the intersection

From March 17 at 7 pm until March 20 at 6 am, the intersection of #Hurontario and #Dundas will be closed as crews work on sanitary installations. This is a necessary part of the #HazelMcCallionLine’s infrastructure installation. Find out: https://bddy.me/3JmjhbY

Last edited:

Back