That cylindrical structure they're building is also pretty eye-catching. Oh, I should add a third development: The Ontario Court of Justice.

Yeah, the cylindrical formation underground is pretty cool. The shape of it reminds me of something you may see at CERN. I think the Schwartz Reisman Innovation Centre at College & University will turn some heads too once that starts rising substantially.

This and The One are the only 2 developments downtown where I regularly see passers-by gawk and take pictures.

Funny you say that, because that struck me just a couple days ago -- when I walked past 1BW, there were literally four people independently standing across the street watching the steel go up.

Funny you say that, because that struck me just a couple days ago -- when I walked past 1BW, there were literally four people independently standing across the street watching the steel go up.
Given its prominent location, 1BW (The One) attracts more gawkers than Hyatt Place, but I've seen photographers around Hyatt Place too. Remarkable, considering it's still a hole in the ground.

I hate this development so far not because of how the building will look but how they have treated the surrounding area.

They consistently had equipment blocking the east side sidewalk on Jarvis before they set up the shitty scaffolding. Now the scaffolding is terrible you can barley squeeze through and it's not accessible at all.

The workers have always been rude when I ask questions or tell them they need to leave the sidewalk clear.

AND worst of all they always park their trucks unnecessarily in the bike lane.

I hate this development so far not because of how the building will look but how they have treated the surrounding area.

They consistently had equipment blocking the east side sidewalk on Jarvis before they set up the shitty scaffolding. Now the scaffolding is terrible you can barley squeeze through and it's not accessible at all.

The workers have always been rude when I ask questions or tell them they need to leave the sidewalk clear.

AND worst of all they always park their trucks unnecessarily in the bike lane.

I 'boycotted' snapping photos here for quite awhile, when they snarkily chastised me for snapping a couple of photos. They said photos were not allowed, as was stated on the sign along Shuter. There was/is no sign along Shuter. Alas, but here are a couple more photos. The workers are sufficiently deep in this pit that precludes more harassment. ;-)

P1210541.jpg

P1210540.jpg

And glass with all its angles is the main design feature for that building! Who likes bare concrete structure (other than skyscraper geeks, of course)?

Back