INDX and EY are just a really nice, new couple for the skyline:

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 683
Yes, a condo is weird. We need condos, plural… but then there are also the L Tower, Backstage, Trump, and Empire Plaza, and the Shangri-La and Symphony Place if we go as far as Simcoe. Looking forward to 88 Scott, Yonge + Rich coming on stream. It's a start, hopefully we can shoehorn in a few more. (I wish Bay Adelaide North were to be residential. The next phase at Brookfield Place could be residential too…)

Yes, a condo is weird. We need condos, plural… but then there are also the L Tower, Backstage, Trump, and Empire Plaza, and the Shangri-La and Symphony Place if we go as far as Simcoe. Looking forward to 88 Scott, Yonge + Rich coming on stream. It's a start, hopefully we can shoehorn in a few more. (I wish Bay Adelaide North were to be residential. The next phase at Brookfield Place could be residential too…)

what next phase at Brookfield Place

That was years ago, though.

I think they should keep parts of 22 Front St West and develop Brookfield Place 3 as a midrise to fill in the space between the Hockey Hall of Fame and 22 Front St West. It would also preserve some sunlight entering the Atria and keep it from feeling too gloomy.

Or maybe bring back the McMaster, A.R., & BRO. warehouse as a facade, I wouldn't mind that either.

BCEPlace3.jpg

http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/tobuildings_more.php?search_fd3=1924

Yes, it was put forth years ago, but a proposal there could be pulled off the shelf again any time that Brookfield wanted to do it. I'm not saying that it's going to happen any time soon, (and there's never been any indication that Brookfield would put anything here other than offices) but I am just saying that, in light of this being the INDX thread, that this is a spot that I would like to see more residential. I believe that the Financial Core should have a residential building in amongst each block or two, to keep the streets livelier at night.

(I wish Bay Adelaide North were to be residential. The next phase at Brookfield Place could be residential too…)

but I am just saying that, in light of this being the INDX thread, that this is a spot that I would like to see more residential. I believe that the Financial Core should have a residential building in amongst each block or two, to keep the streets livelier at night.

Street life is nice, but I think it's important that these sited be preserved for commercial development. There aren't many locations left where you can build a huge office tower anymore, and if the downtown office market continues to be strong over the long run then it would be a shame to allow a bunch of condos to stunt its growth potential. Besides, the growing residential population surrounding the financial district should do plenty for the street life in the area.

There are tons of places in the core where one can build large office towers. All you need is a lot. The idea that one can't build one because there aren't any at the moment in an area is odd. The only pre-requisite seems to be proximity to a subway station. Even there we shouldn't be constrained by the inventory of subway stations in the core presently in existence. Surely when one needs better infrastructure, you build it.

Jarvis Street, Bloor, Yonge, Dundas, University, College, Front, Bathurst, Queen, King, Spadina.... and every side street in between.

Last edited:
I still feel like placing a condo in the Financial District is kinda weird.

The word 'condo' has become more ambiguous over the years. There are many units in the building that serve as solely as rentals, and many more on Airbnb. So in a sense, they have almost become mixed-use towers in their communities.

It can be exciting to see these types of buildings in the Financial District (hotels, condos, etc). They are visually different than the traditional massive footprints and build form of surrounding office towers, oftentimes more slender and unique in geometry (1 King West, L tower). INDX isn't necessarily a fine example, but the financial district is probably the only area in the city where having balconies is 'unique'.

Street life is nice, but I think it's important that these sited be preserved for commercial development. There aren't many locations left where you can build a huge office tower anymore, and if the downtown office market continues to be strong over the long run then it would be a shame to allow a bunch of condos to stunt its growth potential. Besides, the growing residential population surrounding the financial district should do plenty for the street life in the area.
I'm not worried about our supply of land for office towers downtown whatsoever. There's a pile approved and ready to go whenever they're needed, probably take a decade or more to build all that out, plus more sites which are intensifiable there too. Meanwhile, there's soon to be 10 million square feet looking for tenants at East Harbour, and frankly we do need to be spreading it out a bit more at other transit stations around the city.

There are tons of places in the core where one can build large office towers. All you need is a lot. The idea that one can't build one because there aren't any at the moment in an area is odd. The only pre-requisite seems to be proximity to a subway station. Even there we shouldn't be constrained by the inventory of subway stations in the core presently in existence. Surely when one needs better infrastructure, you build it.

Jarvis Street, Bloor, Yonge, Dundas, University, College, Front, Bathurst, Queen, King, Spadina.... and every side street in between.

I was talking specifically about the financial district. Each industry prefers to have their offices clustered together. No bank is going to suddenly expand to King & Bathurst which is dominated by artist studios and technology companies.

I just want to make sure that over the long term, there is enough capacity for growth in this area of downtown.

I was talking specifically about the financial district. Each industry prefers to have their offices clustered together. No bank is going to suddenly expand to King & Bathurst which is dominated by artist studios and technology companies.

I just want to make sure that over the long term, there is enough capacity for growth in this area of downtown.

That's not universally true; RBC, for instance, led the early charge from the Bay St. corridor down to Southcore. With everything connected by the PATH or a short walk above-ground, it's really all pretty close together. There's a massive amount of office supply in the pipeline and lots of room for it. Nothing to be worried about as long as the economy continues to hum along relatively well.

Back