ericmacm

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hamilton Health Sciences has proposed a major redevelopment of Juravinski Hospital, located at 711 Concession Street on the mountain. The project, currently projected to cost $2.3B and start construction in 2028, will involve the demolition of four of the oldest wings of the hospital and the construction of a massive new building along the northern boundary of the property. The redevelopment project will result in a 70% increase in facility footprint, add 417 newly constructed beds (plus 170 net new beds), the movement of all beds to single-patient rooms, modernized hallways and common areas, and will also include major renovations to the emergency department, diagnostic imaging, and surgical areas.

JH-model.png

Redevelopment-before-and-after-1-1024x401.png

It's interesting that they're making the podium business flow in retrospect to the escarpment it sits upon.

This is a much needed project. The current hospital, like many old hospitals that have been rapidly expanded, is an absolute clusterf--- of vastly different types of buildings all jankily connected to each other by hallways and outdoor pathways.

There is no new thread for this - so bumping HHS’s plan with Juravinski’s redevelopment.

“At the General Hospital campus we will build a new children’s and women’s hospital on Wellington Street, replacing the current facility at McMaster University Medical Centre. We will also modernize the General Hospital.”

From this, after WLMH and JHCC are finished (~2028), we will see the General being redeveloped and a new hospital replacing MUMC/MCH for children’s and women’s surrounding the General.

I still dont know why they haven’t looked at building a new hospital in another area. To be honest, the area where General resides within is just horrible.

I also wonder what McMaster will use MUMC for considering the building was retrofitted/renovated by HHS and it’s the first time they will have their hands on the building.

Last edited:
“At the General Hospital campus we will build a new children’s and women’s hospital on Wellington Street, replacing the current facility at McMaster University Medical Centre. We will also modernize the General Hospital.”

I’m guessing after WLMH and JHCC are finished (~2028), they will start going ahead with redeveloping the General and making a new hospital for children’s and women.

I still dont know why they haven’t looked at building a new hospital within the McMaster area. To be honest, the area where General resides within is just horrible.

I also wonder what McMaster will use MUMC for considering the building was retrofitted/renovated by HHS and it’s the first time they will have their hands on the building.
I understand why you would say the area is horrible now but what about in 5 years?

I understand why you would say the area is horrible now but what about in 5 years?
I might be wrong here, but there doesn’t seem to be anything new about housing development in that area. Development occurs on the west side of Barton; nothing on the east side.

Having worked at the three main hospital sites including General, I just don't think anything new will happen in 5 years.

The community will still be the same, with druggies walking around harassing others in the night, and the homeless taking shelter in parking garages for the hospital. I have heard many bad stories from patients (stalking, confrontation) and security dealing with these people daily at the General.

It’s likely going to be 15+ years until we see change as a whole in that area. Consider the community from downtown moving more toward the east. I think we’ve all seen the city attempt to “clean up” the downtown area as of recent.

Developers are focusing on building near the LRT line and revitalizing the downtown area since that’s where the money is at.

The surrounding area will eventually get worse - and once development of the downtown area stagnates, the east end will be looked at for housing developments and revitalization.

In my opinion, that area is a lost cause for now. Let’s see how the city attempts to take control of the area and make it better for everyone in the community.

Last edited:

Back