A couple days ago I was walking from King/Bay towards the TIFF building and just noticed how much this development pushed the urban tunnel going West. That's one thing about Toronto compared to similar populated cities in North America, the density drops off the map fairly quick in either East/West direction.

A couple days ago I was walking from King/Bay towards the TIFF building and just noticed how much this development pushed the urban tunnel going West. That's one thing about Toronto compared to similar populated cities in North America, the density drops off the map fairly quick in either East/West direction.

Can't agree more, I feel like the urban level density only exist between Spadina to the west and Church to the east. The South-North corridor is much better as you can walk from Queen's Quay all the way to Davenport and still feel like you are in the city center. But it only takes 15 mins if you walk along West-East to realize Toronto still has a small urban centre.

IMHO I've always through that 'downtown' Toronto wasn't that big in a sense but more spread out with many different and more distant 'nodes' or neighbourhood centres with low rise residential in between. These nodes seem centred on the major rapid transit stops that have appeared since WW2. Before that there was a distinct city centre. Even between the financial district and Yonge/Bloor it was quite low until recently then up to St Clair then up to Eglinton....North York etc.etc.

IMG_20181215_121624.jpg

I always find it to be quite impressive approaching that wall of buildings on Beverley St. Pretty cool to see this add to it. Seeing giant buildings right behind Queen St. still feels very new to me.

Can't agree more, I feel like the urban level density only exist between Spadina to the west and Church to the east. The South-North corridor is much better as you can walk from Queen's Quay all the way to Davenport and still feel like you are in the city center. But it only takes 15 mins if you walk along West-East to realize Toronto still has a small urban centre.

I'd say it extends at least to Jarvis in the East, and walking from Jarvis to Spadina is 25 minutes. Toronto doesn't at all have "a small urban centre" -- if you also consider how far it extends in the North-South direction, the total built up high-rise core is comparable to Chicago's in size and scope and only NYC greatly exceeds it among U.S. and Canadian cities. Downtown Toronto is huge compared to just about every major city in the U.S, and Canada.

i find the sloping of the roof too gentle and feels anti-climactic. I guess it`s the product of height limits imposed by the city and profits sought out by developers

Do these developers not know how to make a slant? Every roof with these 5 degree slants are kinda sad hints at angles mid as well make it a flat roof really.

Need a list of example?

Back