They should just bulldoze ground level and redo with an actual vision and good design
Still say the origional base design would have quite something. And very eye catching. I know there’s no point saying it now. But I imagine what that would have looked like and see what’s there now and get real sad.

They should just bulldoze ground level and redo with an actual vision and good design

Yes, their consolation prize saying that they'd build a plaza at the foot has predictably turned out to be BS. It's never used and often closed.

IMG_6909.jpeg

A bit of good news, they added this interesting looking display for events playing at the theatre:
IMG_6910.jpeg

Absent them deciding to go ahead and build the original podium, I think that they should open up the west facade of Meridian Hall and create a restaurant/bar/cafe and use the so called "square" as a patio. At least it would be used a few months of the year.

Actually, I just realized what's wrong with this "square". THERE ARE NO SEATS! Why the heck would they think anybody would hang out here without seats? People aren't a bunch of SIMS that just walk around in useless spaces. Some seats and tables here might actually attract some people, specially residents. But then again, that's probably what they're trying to avoid.

Actually, I just realized what's wrong with this "square". THERE ARE NO SEATS! Why the heck would they think anybody would hang out here without seats? People aren't a bunch of SIMS that just walk around in useless spaces. Some seats and tables here might actually attract some people, specially residents. But then again, that's probably what they're trying to avoid.
Though the 'plaza' was paid for by Section 37 funds from L-Tower it actually belongs to Sony/Meridian Centre. THEY should put seating out, of course.

I walked up there once or twice just for the novelty of it. There is literally no reason to ever be there, and you feel like you're in a space where you are not supposed to be in.

Meridian Hall is only interested in that square as a place for people to wander out during intermission of whatever show and have a drink while standing around talking with each other. These people would all have been sitting for about two hours, so generally they want to stand a chat for a bit.

Why the square gets closed though, who knows. Even with it having been "fixed up" by L Tower, the square may be too old to be under a POPS agreement with the City, and even as a City agency, it might be complicated to force them to open it more often.

Here is yet another example of the small things they got wrong when designing the L-Tower. Because they failed to get the levels right, they had to construct a large concrete platform and ramp at the Stage Door entrance to Meridian Centre so it allows wheeled access and is AODA compliant. They just installed the (permanent) metal railings so I assume the wooden one will soon go.
ltower.JPG

Here is yet another example of the small things they got wrong when designing the L-Tower. Because they failed to get the levels right, they had to construct a large concrete platform and ramp at the Stage Door entrance to Meridian Centre so it allows wheeled access and is AODA compliant. They just installed the (permanent) metal railings so I assume the wooden one will soon go.
View attachment 269809
Just when I thought this building couldn't get any worse... Honestly.

Back