More dreary sameness for the waterfront.

Let's hope that the other 1/3 of this block gets some red brick or other colourful cladding. As it stands, this neighbourhood is slated to become a little monotonous.

Given what we have going up in other parts of the waterfront, I don't mind this one at all.

Render and description are up on HPA's site:
The residential redevelopment of the 3.8 acre 215 Lake Shore seeks to make a strong sculptural connection to the historical context of the site while developing a plan that suits the modern needs of the urban Toronto market. Two main towers, of 39- and 49-storeys, sit on the eastern portion of the site and are designed to work in tandem, reading as one sculptural element. Drawing inspiration from the two sails of a sailboat, the towers work together like the main and head sails with massing that appears to catch the wind with curved exteriors that form gentle arcs. The western portion of the site is comprised of a mix of townhomes and low and mid-rise buildings. The development is designed to tie into the existing pedestrian realm with an arching pedestrian path connecting the site to the pedestrian pathways of the Daniels Waterfront – City of the Arts to the west, through to the large existing park, Sherbourne Common, to the east.
1626_N3_medium.jpg

Attachments

• 1626_N3_medium.jpg
    1626_N3_medium.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 747
Cheap? I dunno about that. Looks like it breathes better, density-wise, than the Busan example. That looks cool however, in a very dystopian way. Love the shared tonality of that crisp tower group - very SF.

As for the Toronto project - looks pretty neat as a statement but I'm not sure I'm into the bulbous base of that taller tower.

215 LAKE SHORE BLVD E
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District

Draft Plan of Subdivion to: establish and convey a portion of a new east-west local road to the City of Toronto; facilitate the realignment and widening of a section of Lower Sherbourne Street, and; divide the site into two lots for phased development.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Subdivision Approval 17 180289 STE 28 SB Jun 14, 2017 Under Review

Very interesting massing. The eastern end of the Lakeshore is finally getting some appropriate height while the pic of the density in Busan is ridiculous for our city.

Really love the spacing and design. I wonder how much of it will be dedicated to retail/office use. Lots of great opportunities for introducing restaurants, recreational offerings, daycare spaces and retail to anchor the neighbourhood.

Sails over a windswept plaza followed by your typical density filler of a giant podium with towers plopped on top. There's potential. Right now, it's pretty much a scale down version of Busan or your typical 905 master plan. Hopefully, someone brings up Honest Ed's, Artist alley, The Well, etc. during the process and inspires the team here to do that additional tweaking.

Back