Yeah it all comes down to execution. Some bolder materials or splashes of colour could have gone a long way in this project. Also hoping that the streetwall doesn't end up being just another bland glass wall.

More grey? They could elevate this to the point of acceptability if they'd simply use another colour. If they've forgotten what colour looks like here's 60 Colborne.

1613639546775.png

Last edited:
More grey? They could elevate this to the point of acceptability if they'd simply use another colour. If they've forgotten what colour looks like here's 60 Colborne.

View attachment 300536

Unfortunately that's not what 60 Colborne ended up looking like. I hear you on colour, but IMO this isn't the best example to use considering their material bait and switch.

As a side note, this one is really moving slowly... I assume issues with sales? Likely because this build is hugging the highway... Reminds me a bit of Monde's slow construction start. I'd be surprised if we see these towers completed by 2025 at this point.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that's not what 60 Colborne ended up looking like. I hear you on colour, but IMO this isn't the best example to use considering their material bait and switch.

As a side note, this one is really moving slowly... I assume issues with sales? Likely because this build is hugging the highway... Reminds me a bit of Monde's slow construction start. I'd be surprised if we see these towers completed by 2025 at this point.
A misunderstanding of what's possible in a market-rate condo in Toronto isn't really a 'bait and switch'. If one ever thought it was going to be anything other than metal panel or precast, that's more on the observer than anything else. I think 60 Colborne turned out brilliantly. The orange is dramatic and engaging. Really wished they'd kept the archway though.

A misunderstanding of what's possible in a market-rate condo in Toronto isn't really a 'bait and switch'. If one ever thought it was going to be anything other than metal panel or precast, that's more on the observer than anything else. I think 60 Colborne turned out brilliantly. The orange is dramatic and engaging. Really wished they'd kept the archway though.
I agree that 60 Colborne turned out great, but putting it all on the observer if there's some disappointment regarding materials? Even though renderings are not legal documents, they do create expectations. If developers ask for particularly glossy renderings that aren't necessarily buildable, sure, more seasoned observers may suss out that the end result won't be exactly as depicted, but it is not solely the fault of the observer who does not pick up on that. Designs evolve during the process, but developers who use one image to sell a project but who do not update the renderings to account for the design changes deserve any swipes they receive.

I agree that 60 Colborne turned out great, but putting it all on the observer if there's some disappointment regarding materials? Even though renderings are not legal documents, they do create expectations. If developers ask for particularly glossy renderings that aren't necessarily buildable, sure, more seasoned observers may suss out that the end result won't be exactly as depicted, but it is not solely the fault of the observer who does not pick up on that. Designs evolve during the process, but developers who use one image to sell a project but who do not update the renderings to account for the design changes deserve any swipes they receive.

Fair enough.

One thing to remember however, is that the folks here are the ones that care most about this kind of thing, and, unfortunately, we're significantly in the minority. Generally: purchasers don't care (they want the unit), the team fronting it don't (they may not have priced things or been critical enough of the images in the initial stages), long-term city dwellers / observers don't (we ended up with something excellent, regardless of what was initially illustrated). For better or worse (I'd argue better as this board is a fantastic place), UrbanToronto has long been the most astutely aware and rightly-critical of the state of architectural ambition in this city, but it does come with a bit of a price. Namely most here are keen, armchair observers, not folks in the industry with any direct knowledge of how things work. So while it's good to be critical of failure, it's also important to remember that we're paying way more attention, often than even the team working on the project.

Fair enough.

One thing to remember however, is that the folks here are the ones that care most about this kind of thing, and, unfortunately, we're significantly in the minority. Generally: purchasers don't care (they want the unit), the team fronting it don't (they may not have priced things or been critical enough of the images in the initial stages), long-term city dwellers / observers don't (we ended up with something excellent, regardless of what was initially illustrated). For better or worse (I'd argue better as this board is a fantastic place), UrbanToronto has long been the most astutely aware and rightly-critical of the state of architectural ambition in this city, but it does come with a bit of a price. Namely most here are keen, armchair observers, not folks in the industry with any direct knowledge of how things work. So while it's good to be critical of failure, it's also important to remember that we're paying way more attention, often than even the team working on the project.
Sure, collectively we pay more attention than other groups typically do to the details of renderings and other such development details, but you cannot discount that there will be others like us who don't participate here, nor that there's a reason to discount anyone's reaction to an item used to promote sales if the final product does meet expectations. As renderings are not legal documents, I admit that developers are not required to fulfill every promise made by them, I am just saying that if they are not concerned with managing the expectations they've created by releasing updated renderings, then they can take the criticism, that's all.

Perhaps we are the only voices that will hold them to account. And as insignificant that maybe, we still need to vent. After all, those buildings with their bargain basement corner cuttings will be there as eyesores for generations to come. We can't and shouldn't let that go, IMO. /sigh

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what’s happening with the site. It’s been several months now that some work began but very little has been accomplished - seems to be stagnant. At first I thought because of the cold weather, but I see Tridel’s Aqualuna site on Queens Quay East is going like gangbusters. Do you think there a problem at Lakeside Residences?

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what’s happening with the site. It’s been several months now that some work began but very little has been accomplished - seems to be stagnant. At first I thought because of the cold weather, but I see Tridel’s Aqualuna site on Queens Quay East is going like gangbusters. Do you think there a problem at Lakeside Residences?
They probably don have the building permit yet which is normal at this stage, with the new lockdown they can't work on the site if they don't have the building permit.

They probably don have the building permit yet which is normal at this stage, with the new lockdown they can't work on the site if they don't have the building permit.

No, they don't, though the application has been with the City for a bit; seems that there was a problem with the structural review:

1614298116382.png

And a refusal notice on Mechanical:

1614298179157.png

And on Plumbing:

1614298215905.png

Back