The concrete wall will be partly covered by red 'siding"- with viewing windows - and the area will all be landscaped - see: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/Leslie_Barns/index.jsp I am reserving judgement on how all this softens the "Fort Leslie" look but .....

Huh. Interesting. A little bit nicer, if it actually gets executed properly. Time will tell. I have a feeling the design will date pretty quickly.

From the TTC website in the link (mods please remove if I'm not supposed to upload screen captures of their website pics.)

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 9.59.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 9.59.49 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 9.59.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 9.59.42 PM.png
    436.6 KB · Views: 1,281
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 9.59.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 9.59.49 PM.png
    408.2 KB · Views: 1,261
I was under the impression this wasn't just an acoustic noise wall, but also to reduce smells. The original earthen and treed berm that they removed was to block the stink from Ashbridges treatment plant. And this massive wall looks to be about the same height, so perhaps it has a similar purpose.

Going by the renderings, I was not expecting the wall to be this tall, long and ugly. I walked by this recently and I was not prepared for this. Check it out here, along with the Leslie Barnes building, which itself, isn't too bad. I wish more of it was viewable from Lakeshore.

I realize the wall is not finished and that coloured panels will go up, as well as some landscaping but I still think it will make this stretch of the waterfront trail, a bitch to walk/jog/bike. That wall is just too tall and ugly. Why do they not want us to be able to see the building behind it? I'd rather look at a decent building than a cement wall. What's with those tine windows? I find them useless.

Put some decent windows in, for god's sake!

Last edited:
As I believe was suggested earlier in the thread, the windows will make more sense once they raise the ground level in front of the wall (the "landscaping"). Also, it's not that they don't want you to see the building while you're jogging, but that the people who live nearby don't want to hear it at 5AM.

So if you work here you're going to work right beside the sewage treatment plant? Gross! It smells bad enough to cycle by. Let alone stay there all day.

So if you work here you're going to work right beside the sewage treatment plant? Gross! It smells bad enough to cycle by. Let alone stay there all day.

Breath through your mouth, not your nose, as you pass by.

In all the times I have been down there since this project started, there been only 2 days that the smell gets to me and this south of Lake Shore.

It all depends on the direction the wind is blowing.

Slightly off-topic: the site where the Burger King was (NE corner of Lake Shore and Leslie; its closure in Jan 2015 was discussed here), is now a drive-through Starbucks also with a large seating area. The Starbucks location in the building on the SW corner with the Canadian Tire has closed.

Back