Far be it from me to besmirch the majesty of dining next to traffic at Simcoe and Adelaide.
...sure, but I would find a quieter intersection to dine next to if that where an issue (it's isn't one for me). /shrug

Last edited:
It's a bit of a unique situation here with it being a private members-only club. Their entire draw is that it's exclusive and mysterious. It makes sense from a business perspective, protecting their brand. Personally, I don't have much of an issue with it since this corner is generally devoid of streetlife anyway.

Even just a hedge of bushes would be better, but of course I agree either way that we shouldn't have patios this closed off, period. That said, Boston Pizza's patio next to Rogers Centre is pretty closed off on the Blue Jays Way side.

Even just a hedge of bushes would be better, but of course I agree either way that we shouldn't have patios this closed off, period. That said, Boston Pizza's patio next to Rogers Centre is pretty closed off on the Blue Jays Way side.
The neverendum John Street construction may have affected their interim decision here.

I’m a big supporter of sidewalk patios and all the life and energy they inject into city streets. This, on the other hand, does the opposite. Here they’ve built up a fence around 6’ high so that patrons of their private members club don’t suffer the indignity of being seen by the public while they sip their drinks on public property.
If you don’t want to be gawked at, just move to the rooftop! Not sure how this is at all legal (if it is).
View attachment 412369

Wouldn't this be regulated for height the same as the fence by-law? That limits front-yard fences to 4ft. Back yard fences can be 8ft.

This is on a public sidewalk so unless I’m missing something 1.2m is the height limit and this sidewalk is fully illegal:

I wonder if they're relying on this:

1657986754879.png

If so, they would be wrong, I just looked up the road classification for Simcoe here, and it's classed as a 'Collector'

Back