^Indeed, 13 January 2011 it was smoking hot!

021km.jpg

You guys are right. They have suddenly woken up and are now putting up the glass quickly.

It is intriguing to see how much variation there is in the glass, not only from side to side but within a section. I don't think this is mis-match or ends at all like some have suggested. Rather I think this is simply the way the light reflects off all the buildings surrounding and how with different angles it changes.

I think once it is complete, it will appear much more uniform with shading variations but over such a large area it will be a gradual transformation.

I think it will make for a constantly changing visual landscape.

The more that goes up, the nicer this looks at least to me.

Torontovibe

Thanks for that. Just a great video. It really puts it in perspective. The amazing thing is they are around floor 20 so this thing has got 45 more stories to go. It will be massive and given its location alone there at that height for a few blocks will really stand out. (Next door is 35 stories).

JayBee: I am prejudiced but I agree SL + 4S is nicer than either Trump/Ritz for external esthetics to my eyes. However, inside remains to be seen yet.

Further I will endure the wrath of others but I think strickly on external appearance on what I can see so far: SL more interesting than 4S though 4S is a more valuable location.

one thing i like, is that since the glass extends outward of the main structure, it looks like shangri-la is comprised of huge fins! it looks sharp!

Interested and Jaybee, I'm with you guys. This building has quite the presence on University. I also noticed the speed at which they were installing glass here. And when I looked across to Trump, sure enough, that they too had begun speeding up the pace of the cladding installation. The cold weather, and Kristopher's speed with the camera, has kept me from taking pictures on my way to work for the past few days. Once this weather has passed, forsure, I'll be back out there catching all the action as it happens.

Last edited:
I live in Boutique, so it's quite easy for me to go out for a few mins and take photos, hehe.

Interested and Jaybee, I'm with you guys. This building has quite the presence on University.

I also have to chip in here and agree. I'm not a huge fan of Trump or The Ritz (though each has some intersting design elements, plus I'm glad we now have a Trump & a Ritz in Toronto) but Shangri-La is looking really promising plus I'm a huge fan of University Avenue so I'm really pleased to see that this appears to be turning out so well at this early stage. As for the Four Seasons it's a somewhat standard design but the upper setback on the west tower and the glass rocks.

^^^
I guess this proves it. Great minds think alike or fools seldom differ.
Seriously, I am really pleased with what I am seeing. I just hope it keeps happening. I wait for something that will really be an eyesore to happen and shake my confidence but so far, nothing but praise.

In that 2nd shot, didn't realize how close this tower is to metro hall area. wow. it looks huge. this + theatre park should drastically change the area.

Not only that, it makes you realize how appropriate Theatre Park really is. They'd pretty much appear to be standing beside each other from this vantage point, and considering the set-back from King, TP would have no more impact than Shangri-La eventually will.

This. Building. Is. So. Sexy.

There. I said it.

All the variations of glass will hopefully come together nicely because they are all so beautiful in their own rite.

And I'm still in love with the incorporation of the lighting into the cladding:

Last edited:

Back