Nice article: ^^^
And you bet. People need to recognize famous international hotel chains like Shangri-la, Ritz, FS, and trump.

I recently read an article in the Star indicating that Canada only has one Five Star hotel, which is in Whislter. In a couple of years we'll have five, with four in TO- that's quite a dramatic change. Hopefully our first five star restaurant will follow!

Nice article: ^^^
And you bet. People need to recognize famous international hotel chains like Shangri-la, Ritz, FS, and trump.

Why? Because the Toronto locations are located in tall buildings? The chains are already recognized.

I recently read an article in the Star indicating that Canada only has one Five Star hotel, which is in Whislter. In a couple of years we'll have five, with four in TO- that's quite a dramatic change. Hopefully our first five star restaurant will follow!

The Hazelton Hotel in Yorkville is a 5-star hotel.

Yeh I thought that as well, I also thought the Windsor Arms was five star also. However according to the AAA/CAA ratings they don't cut the mustard for the five 'diamond' rating. I guess it depends on the association- I think the Windsor is five in the Michelin guides..?

http://www.thestar.com/travel/article/921924--canada-robbed-in-latest-in-aaa-caa-hotel-ratings

If you look at the ratings, the Hazelton is not on the four diamond list - it probably wasn't reviewed for the guide.

http://ww1.aaa.com/scripts/WebObjec...xkIsRO79uM/0.11.13.8.3.0.1.2.2.15.1.0.1.1.0.0

Their ratings are a bit hrmmm-worthy. Toronto has a lot more four diamond restaurants than many of the other cities (particularly Montreal), but it has no five diamond restaurants? Really?

Last edited:
Yes perhaps they didn't review the Hazelton, odd though considering it has been around for at least a couple of years now. I just wonder if any of the big four going up in TO will make their 5 diamond rating? Hard to believe there isn't a single five star restaurant in all of Toronto either, and yet there is one in Cambridge, ON..? Hmmm- indeed.

Cladding is up the to 8th level on Shangri la on the North facing side

Also saw some of them were working on the installation of cladding on the eastern side this morning walking down to King West.

Last edited:
Was down yesterday. They were pouring the 24th level. Man, this thing looks massive and they are only a 1/3 of the way up. I think because it is essentially surrounded by buildings that are 25 stories, it will really dominate the skyline on University.

I just wanted to point out that some of you are using five diamond and five stars synomously and they are completely different, one is a ranking system whereas the other is an award awarded to less than 1% of 5 star hotels.

skyline overview

5379853076_9413baf931_b.jpg

gus5d

Shangri La

Why? Because the Toronto locations are located in tall buildings? The chains are already recognized.

i meant that famous hotel brands located in cities become landmarks. people from around the world need a hotel they recognize. We don't have too many global hotels located here. the Shangri-la and Ritz have locations in many countries. they're great additions to the city. :D

crazy pano ^^^ but i still sorta hate the CBD dominance effect from the CN tower. it's the most unbalanced view of the skyline.

i meant that famous hotel brands located in cities become landmarks. people from around the world need a hotel they recognize. We don't have too many global hotels located here. the Shangri-la and Ritz have locations in many countries. they're great additions to the city. :D

Toronto has plenty of Hiltons, Sheratons, Holiday Inns, Marriotts, etc. These are global hotels and well recognized. The Shangri-la and Ritz brands are upscale hotels that most tourists don't stay at because of the expensive rates.

Back