Those animal bronzes are adorable. In regard to fountains and parks not being properly maintained I wonder if my pet peeve ie. the fountain in a graffiti covered plywood box at Clarence Square has been unboxed and is spewing water like a fountain should. I’ll check it out.

Some nice seating near & under the trellis along with a few more animal sculptures …

IMG_6596.jpeg
IMG_6595.jpeg
IMG_6594.jpeg
IMG_6597.jpeg

Source: Tony Vizzini

If those chairs / tables aren't bolted down ... I have concerns ... as sad as that is to say.

I have no involvement on Love Park, so don’t have all the details on this. But I do know that the Waterfront BIA has agreed to take on management of the moveable furniture. I believe they will trial having a team lock up the furniture at night, and set it up again each morning. Again, don’t quote me on that. But that was the gist of the model explained to me by the BIA team a few months ago. We’re looking at modeling something similar for the new Bathurst Quay park, but working there with the Canada Ireland Foundation given they’ll have staff on site in the Corleck.

...a large staff on site standing with imposing folded arms with a prominent sign draped around their neck saying, "You no take our furniture!" <3

Last edited:
The ones at Berczy are chained together and they seem to be fairly safe (and usable). Bolting them down restricts them to always facing in one direction - which is not as good.

I actually forgot about these. You're right !

Ok that makes me feel a little more optimistic about it.

I actually forgot about these. You're right !

Ok that makes me feel a little more optimistic about it.
The default reaction on UT to City projects is usually one of:

It will be delayed or cancelled.
It will be over-budget.
It will never happen
It will happen, (late), but the City will have such stupid rules that nobody will use it
It will be vandalised
It will not be tall enough
It will be ....

Sometimes, things work out properly! Sometimes the default is correct! Vigilance, colleagues!

The default reaction on UT to City projects is usually one of:

It will be delayed or cancelled.
It will be over-budget.
It will never happen
It will happen, (late), but the City will have such stupid rules that nobody will use it
It will be vandalised
It will not be tall enough
It will be ....

Sometimes, things work out properly! Sometimes the default is correct! Vigilance, colleagues!

I know, I hate the cynicism, but it's a reflection of the world we seem to live in as of late.
Anyway, let's see, I'll try to channel some inner optimism :)

Reactions: DSC
I know, I hate the cynicism, but it's a reflection of the world we seem to live in as of late.
Anyway, let's see, I'll try to channel some inner optimism :)
I think the world is kinda always been that way, it's just how me manage to move pass that. And I agree, that's not always easy. /sigh

I know there is a plan for the Wisteria vines to grow through the trellis, but are there any concerns that it wont grow well or will be vandalized?

Also, it looks like the only grow points are the two pots in the middle, will it eventually grow to all corners?

How long will that take?

I know there is a plan for the Wisteria vines to grow through the trellis, but are there any concerns that it wont grow well or will be vandalized?

Courthouse Square Park, off Church St. has a trellis plant structure.

I've never heard of it being vandalized but couldn't say it hasn't happened:

1686065788597.png

Also, it looks like the only grow points are the two pots in the middle, will it eventually grow to all corners?

How long will that take?

Happy Wisteria can grow up to 10ft (the most I've ever heard of is actually 25ft, but that's super rare) per year.

I'd budget a bit less, 5-6ft is a reasonable goal. So covering the entire trellis structure might take a bit, but not as long as you'd think.

Courthouse Square Park, off Church St. has a trellis plant structure.

I've never heard of it being vandalized but couldn't say it hasn't happened:

View attachment 483244

Happy Wisteria can grow up to 10ft (the most I've ever heard of is actually 25ft, but that's super rare) per year.

I'd budget a bit less, 5-6ft is a reasonable goal. So covering the entire trellis structure might take a bit, but not as long as you'd think.
Courthouse Square also has 7 or 8 "street planters' on Court Street to match those IN the park. They used to have clematis but, of course, nobody maintained them. PFR said they were 'street plants', Transportation said they were Park plants!

Court.jpg

Back