Interesting, I might have missed something but it looks like based on the map linked in that update that there will no longer be any promontory park north? Or are they just saying that or won’t be ready for 2024 but will still aim to be completed shortly after?

It doesn’t feature at all and it was one of my favourite parts of the plan :( View attachment 348706

It's part of a future phase of work. Not cancelled. Just not in the current program.

Few timeline updates on page 42.

All delayed 1-6months

-Debris and sediment management area
-Commissioners bridge and Don roadway
-Cherry st Realignment
-Commissioners st west to new cherry st

Also both river parks are well over budget.

Page 51
Key Decisions Due Date
View attachment 348713 View attachment 348714
City to advise on direction regarding the Harbour Lead Rail staying. Jun-21

Have we heard the decision?
The Harbour Lead rail line is clearly going; the City (or CreateTO) needs to finally say so. Though I am in favour of rail, the sewage plant (its only active customer) seems to have managed fine without it for 2+ years and it has been cut at Cherry Street, Don Roadway and at Commissioners. Time to 'make the closure legal".

Yes, it's a very good article with his usual great photos. It certainly sets a new standard for BlogTO contributors!

I gotta say it's bittersweet. A real shame to lose him here at UT but BlogTO sorely needed some talent. Perhaps I'll unblock them from my Reddit feed and end my general "never give BTO a click" rule". 🤔

My understanding is that Promontory Park North isn't funded, but that's intentional - the plan is to build it using section 37 funds from the developments that are built on Villiers Island. But they already created the design for it along with the rest of the funded part of the Lower Don plans. Essentially seems like it was an easy way to shave some millions off the government funding.

Last edited:
Two distant lightning bolts captured over Lake Ontario during a long exposure from our balcony in the Distillery District last night. The Portlands Energy Centre and massive decommissioned Hearn Generating Station with its tall stack are on the left. The sci-fi looking Cherry Street Stormwater Management Facility illuminated by nearby light is in the foreground. The stormwater facility managed and treated runoff along the waterfront during and after last night's storm which produced over 25mm of rainfall. Used starburst effect to accentuate lamp lighting.

2021-09-15-11.05.15 ZS PMax (1).jpg

Last edited:
A couple of shots of the Commissioner Street Bridges, taken from the Intersection of Don Roadway and Lake Shore Blvd, and the west side of the bike bridge across the Don River.

Photos taken Sept 28th, 2021:

1632864937352.png

1632864983134.png

Last edited:
Sometimes, posters here have asked about why the flood risks upstream of Eastern Avenue aren't more mitigated by this project than is the case.

There are a complex series of reasons at work, that expedited exit flows don't fully address, including the very straight forward issues of water volume exceeding channel capacity and low-lying infrastructure (particularly the lower portions of the DVP and Bayview Avenue)

But in the course of my walk yesterday I saw a further example of why problems occur that's worth a look-see. (photo taken Sept 28th, 2021)

The impact of an unfortunately placed support pier:

1632929726693.png

As you can see, it's catching a great deal of debris.

That debris, which is below the waterline, as well as above it, severely impacts flow-rates, and can cause water to back up, and/or go 'around' by climbing the banks in the immediate vicinity of the pier.

During future reconstruction both of the Gardiner, but also the Eastern Avenue overpass, every effort should be made to remove piers from the water; and alternatively to substantially reduce their barrier function, allowing better free-flow conditions.

The Harbour Lead rail line is clearly going; the City (or CreateTO) needs to finally say so. Though I am in favour of rail, the sewage plant (its only active customer) seems to have managed fine without it for 2+ years and it has been cut at Cherry Street, Don Roadway and at Commissioners. Time to 'make the closure legal".

Photos of the Harbour Lead, taken Sept 28th, 2021: (love that caution tape!)

1632932605064.png

1632932642822.png

1632932791527.png

Back