With the LRT now expected to go to a Polson Loop I wonder if we should expect another bridge in yellow to be procured, or if future transit bridges will be less elaborate. It is interesting that only a single transit bridge was ordered at first even though it was known that Commissioners and Cherry south would need one at some point.

They haven't even decided to fund QQE LRT (and it won't happen for awhile yet), by the time they get around to doing anything it would have been a decade since the start of this particular project - also moving the termini to south to Polson in the relatively near future is a new development.

AoD

Though I think that bringing the LRT to a new loop at Polson is a very good idea, I do not think anyone has yet agreed that this is the best place to install a (temporary) eastern terminus of the QQE LRT line. It may be too early to start worrying about the colour of the bridge that will be.

Buying bridges is not cheap and until recently there were no serious suggestions of bringing the QQE line much further east than Cherry so building 'bridges in waiting' was (reasonably) not on the to-do list.
The bridge maybe not cheap, but it going to cost at least 50% more now by not doing it now than come 2025. Since the plan for a loop at Jarvis St and connecting to the Cherry St is been rule out, it leaves the Polson Loop in play. To put an temporary loop elsewhere has major issues as well interfere land grading and development.

There is a report to go to council shortly as to next step and direction, Polson Loop will be the front runner.

I think QQE LRT funding is closer than you think. In the design review meetings they are discussing how the time between Cherry being created with no LRT ROW and having the LRT ROW are only a year or so. It sounds very imminent. They are expecting New Cherry and Commissioners to open in August on 2022.

I think QQE LRT funding is closer than you think. In the design review meetings they are discussing how the time between Cherry being created with no LRT ROW and having the LRT ROW are only a year or so. It sounds very imminent. They are expecting New Cherry and Commissioners to open in August on 2022.
I agree (and certainly hope!) that funding for QQE LRT is coming soon but I am not so sure this will bring it to Polson (or through the rail berm to Cherry). The first priority will be to improve the section up Bay Street and going east towards Cherry.

Two of the options for the east end (Polson or Cherry Loop) are expensive and I can see an 'interim' loop between Parliament and Cherry coming first. As we know, 'interim' when it comes to Toronto transit can last for many decades. I hope I am wrong as building BOTH the link to Cherry and a loop at Polson (or even Commissioners) would be far better.

Last edited:
Good morning ! Some SPMT movement happening.

_MG_9415 (1).jpg

_MG_9414.jpg

_MG_9416.jpg

Last edited:
Atlas Crane and a morning fog. Note the beams welded in place now permanently holding the crane in a fixed position.
DSC_6077.jpg

Close up
DSC_6088.jpg

South Cherry Street Bridge rotated and the southern bridge ends in position.
DSC_6085.jpg

Close up of joint
DSC_6086.jpg

Polson slip North dockwall excavation.
DSC_6089.jpg

North Cherry Street bridge. The first of the bridges to arrive.
DSC_6081.jpg

Atlas Crane and a morning fog. Note the beams welded in place now permanently holding the crane in a fixed position.
View attachment 368394

Close up
View attachment 368400

South Cherry Street Bridge rotated and the southern bridge ends in position.
View attachment 368396

Close up of joint
View attachment 368397

Polson slip North dockwall excavation.
View attachment 368399

North Cherry Street bridge. The first of the bridges to arrive.
View attachment 368398
Awesome shots !! Thanks for sharing.

Northern bridge end hoisted into position under hazy sunshine. I believe this was supposed to happen yesterday but was postponed due to very high winds. Shot taken around noon. Sorry for the images being slightly blurry and washed but balcony door handle stuck closed ... shot through glass.

_MG_9425.jpg

_MG_9423.jpg

Last edited:

Back