Only the north. The south bridge over the shipping channel will remain.
In fact the City and Ports Toronto are in the middle of a major overhaul of it. The work on the west side of it is drawing to a close and they will shortly move to the east side. The bridge itself will be repaired, cleaned and painted, probably not until 2023.

172. Cherry Beach–Route update effective August 8​

Effective August 8, 2022

Routing adjustment – road network change

172 Cherry Beach will be re-routed in the Port Lands, as the first portion of new Cherry Street is opened to traffic.

Buses will operate on the new alignment of Cherry Street (between Commissioners Street and Polson Street).

Map of route diversion
wondering the bike lane also open at the same time

wondering the bike lane also open at the same time
To be honest, I think it will be a miracle if the road is opened on 8th. They are certainly making progress but still a good way to go. I think the bike path must move at same time as the purpose is to clear off "Old Cherry Street" so they can excavate more of the new river.

Last edited:
To be honest, I think it will be a miracle if the road is opened on 8th. They are certainly making progress but still a good way to go. I think the bike path must move at same time as the purpose is to clear off "Old Cherry Street" so they can excavate more of the new river.
There’s no way it’s opening on the 8th. WaterfronToronto even said it won’t be finished until end of August.

TTC is jumping the gun.

FRom WT See: https://portlandsto.ca/construction/

Northbound Cherry Street temporarily closed between Commissioners Street and Unwin Avenue: August 26–August 29

Starting Friday, August 26 at 7:00 p.m. until Monday, August 29 at 6:00 a.m., Cherry Street will be restricted to southbound traffic only between Commissioners Street and Unwin Avenue. This work is to connect the new alignment of Cherry Street with the existing alignment at Polson Street.

WHAT TO EXPECT​

• Construction work will be continuous starting Friday at 7:00 p.m. until Monday morning at 6:00 a.m. and include excavation, compaction, and road construction.
  • Motorists:
    • Northbound traffic will be detoured along Unwin Avenue to Leslie Street. From there, drivers may choose to go north to Lake Shore Boulevard East or west along Commissioners Street, north on Saulter Street, and west along Villiers Street back to Cherry Street.
    • The closure will be marked with traffic barrels and Paid Duty Officers will direct traffic.
    • Southbound traffic will be permitted, and there will be some lane shifts.
  • Cyclists and Pedestrians:
    • The Martin Goodman Trail will not be affected by construction.

Cherry Street switching to new alignment between Polson Street and Commissioners Street: Starting August 29

To allow for excavation of the new mouth for the Don River, traffic will be re-routed onto the new alignment of Cherry Street between Polson Street and Commissioners Street starting on Monday, August 29.

This is the first phase of opening the new alignment of Cherry Street from Polson Street to Lake Shore Boulevard East. This section of the new alignment includes the Cherry Street South bridge, which crosses the Polson Slip and the location that will soon become the new mouth of the Don River.

The nw date seems much more reasonable. On my bike ride today the only new thing I noticed was ugly silver guard rails on the bridge. Any chance they will be painted?
I saw the silver too, thought it was a safety rail for the workers

Back