Today:

4F859D60-E9D7-4AD4-9703-EF668D206088.jpeg
EF81D103-21DF-4826-884D-C1A156DD2DC2.jpeg

Mississauga is starting to get quite the skyline. When you view the north shore from the escarpment in Hamilton you really notice the difference in the last 10 to 15 years, before it was sort of flat until Toronto.

Apparently its illegal to build a condo in Ontario without using spandrel.

or is it that the developers are too cheap?
Using spandrel and drywall/insulation is likely much better for energy efficiency compared to using glass panels all around. Think about how much light and heat a window can bring into a room during a warm day, even if you don't directly face the sun. Creating units that have entire exterior glass window walls and multiplying that for hundreds of units in a single building, you'll have massive use in AC in the summer and heat in the winter. I know that modern glass panels have gotten more efficient in regard to winter heat loss and summer heat gain, but an opaque wall with insulation will always perform better than glass and hold up for longer.

If Ontario had a milder climate, we'd probably see greater use of pure glass panels since there would be less demand for AC in the summer and heat in the winter.

Using spandrel and drywall/insulation is likely much better for energy efficiency compared to using glass panels all around. Think about how much light and heat a window can bring into a room during a warm day, even if you don't directly face the sun. Creating units that have entire exterior glass window walls and multiplying that for hundreds of units in a single building, you'll have massive use in AC in the summer and heat in the winter. I know that modern glass panels have gotten more efficient in regard to winter heat loss and summer heat gain, but an opaque wall with insulation will always perform better than glass and hold up for longer.

If Ontario had a milder climate, we'd probably see greater use of pure glass panels since there would be less demand for AC in the summer and heat in the winter.
I don't think the question for most readers is glass spandrel vs. more window, I think the questions is glass spandrel vs. more traditional materials for exterior walls, like brick, etc., that have texture and a solid appearance.

Mississauga is starting to get quite the skyline. When you view the north shore from the escarpment in Hamilton you really notice the difference in the last 10 to 15 years, before it was sort of flat until Toronto.

I used fly from southern USA cities regularly on suit filled airlines. Many flights had someone flying into Pearson for the first time (who was on the wrong side of the aircraft during runway approach) point at Mississauga and say something like: "it looks like we're only a few minutes from downtown".

I've often wondered what their reaction is when the cab goes a different direction than expected and they approach the core via Gardiner.

Last edited:
Greater Toronto Area is quite unique among North American metropolitan areas that there are large skyscraper clusters spread out all over. Don't think this exists anywhere else in North America. With Mississauga skyline to get even more crazy in the next 10 years. It will confuse people even more.

Is it so hard to match these spandrel things to the tint of the glass so at least looks the the same (you know ... so it actually looks good). Anyone in the designing phases of these buildings that use this material don’t seem to know how to use it properly.( So is to be visually pleasing). Sure on its own it’s a nice material, but randomly scattered about on designs like this one look horrible. Seems to not just be many peoples opinions on here, but outside the forums. In the real world. People hate these. I’ve done the research and it’s not a cost thing to match or choose a complimenting colour choice for this material, to make them attractive buildings. So...???? Has pride gone? Especially for making a buildings?

Last edited:

Back