Wouldn't Mississauga count as a Metro area as it is its own city of over 700K. I know Mississauga doesn't have quite the office concentration, but I believe it would be part of a Downtown. (I guess this is the struggle Mississauga has being in the shadow or Toronto).

Cities are given CMA (metro) designation by Statistics Canada when they've registered 100,000 people for 2 censuses in a row. There may be some other criteria as well. Mississauga has always been part of the Toronto CMA. They don't break bits off because they've become large in their own right.

Statistics Canada doesn't combine metros that have grown into each other either. Hence, Hamilton, Oshawa, and Toronto are all separate metros. Once a metro, always a metro.

^ Note that top 5 in the GTA, going on existing built, would put it at a minimum height of 253m (to beat out the Trump Tower) presuming of course that this definition of GTA actually includes Toronto. And of course provided that this realtor ad is actually correct.

https://www.bigcityrealty.ca/m3-m-city-condos-phase-3/

they are claiming it's 80 floors.

The team at M City recently held an sneak peak event for a handful of the top brokers from Phase 1 & 2. Myself along with the team from Big City Realty were there.

We were not told an exact floor count, but were told it would be be "over 80 floors".

The text over lay on the image shown above was provided by the builder (the one quoting "top 5 in the GTA"). We have no reason to believe this is inaccurate.

We are waiting for more information - we're expecting many more details in the next month or so.

Hope that helps

Wouldn't Mississauga count as a Metro area as it is its own city of over 700K. I know Mississauga doesn't have quite the office concentration, but I believe it would be part of a Downtown. (I guess this is the struggle Mississauga has being in the shadow or Toronto).
Metro area is a single contiguous urban area with overlaid commuting patterns. For example, London, ON does not see large amounts of commuters to Toronto, but Mississauga does. So London, ON is its own metro area, while Mississauga is part of the Greater Toronto Metro area.

Census Canada really should break up the Oshawa CMA though - it's unnecessary and shrinks the real size of the GTA. Hamilton stands a bit more by itself, but Burlington, part of the Hamilton CMA, is just as much part of the GTA as it is part of the GHA.

The question is the height of the skyscraper remain unknown. Will it be tallest than Toronto skyscraper?

Currently, First Canadian Place is the tallest building in Canada as of 2018, but in the few years The One will be the tallest building in Canada but it still remain unknown if M city 3 will be or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently, First Canadian Place is the tallest building in Canada as of 2018, but in the few years The One will be the tallest building in Canada but it still remain unknown if M city 3 will be or not.
"Top 5 in the GTA" strongly implies that it won't be the tallest in the GTA. 250-280 metres would be my guess.

Looks like this could be a twisting tower -- at least from the image shown. The guys across the street are going to have to up their design game if they want to be noticed as they finish the last half of their development.

This development follows the same model as the other multi-year master plans being built on this side of Mississauga; a tower on a podium with CRUs at street level. M3 just happens to be a really tall tower. It's just a stat. I don't see it adding anything new to the impression/feel of walking through Mississauga City Centre.

This development follows the same model as the other multi-year master plans being built on this side of Mississauga; a tower on a podium with CRUs at street level. M3 just happens to be a really tall tower. It's just a stat. I don't see it adding anything new to the impression/feel of walking through Mississauga City Centre.
Hopefully it adds more people to the local sidewalks, with increased demand for restaurants and shops (beyond the requisite nail salons and SDMs).

m city is so ambitious i wish it were in a better location like where psv is or where the convention centre was supposed to be. by far the tallest building in the skyline will be at the far west rather than the middle. hopefully it catalyses more similar development towards the centre.

Census Canada really should break up the Oshawa CMA though - it's unnecessary and shrinks the real size of the GTA. Hamilton stands a bit more by itself, but Burlington, part of the Hamilton CMA, is just as much part of the GTA as it is part of the GHA.

They're statisticians and more concerned with having data that measures the same thing so that it's comparable over time. They have no interest in combining just so Toronto can say it's bigger. If one wants to figure out the population of the urban swath along the western end of Lake Ontario it's very easy to do. It's Oshawa CMA + Toronto CMA + Hamilton CMA. This is basically Greater Toronto - Hamilton.

Btw, Oshawa CMA is part of the GTA as is Burlington.

Such little respect for number of floors. They offer functional space unlike so many cheater flourishes used to boost height.

If they skip all the floors ending in ‘4’ plus the 13th floor, ‘80 storeys’ means a 71 floor building. Having said that, the Marilyn ( Absolute) doesn’t skip any floor - they even have the 13th floor.

Back