I've seen polished concrete ceilings (in Context buildings -- yes, they do a great job smoothing it out perfectly like a concrete countertop). I think that would eliminate dust, no?

No, my friend owned at Radio City. The exposed ceilings were a dust nightmare. They eventually had to put a sealant on the raw concrete, which gave them an awful sheen. Disaster.

Thought the sun was giving the buildings a nice glow so I went out to the balcony to take some pics:

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

The mechanical box on top of M5V is hideous. They could've at least made it red.

I just heard back from M5V and they told me only a few ceilings did not meet their 'high standards'. Only those people were offered the choice of painted or plastered ceilings.

Yikes. Well I'm sure the painted ceiling could look pretty cool... adds another interesting texture to the room.

Nice morning lighting in your shots, Tuscani! :)

Hey all, this is my first post.
I got a unit on 29th floor M5V, expected move-in Nov7th. I just got the email about the ceiling too.
i'm definitly going to try and get the plastered painted for free, i'm also thinking of getting them to give it a concrete color.
What do you all think?

Also, i see a lot of negativity about this project which leads me to bring up why this building is important. true that it doesn't look exactly as initially advertised (and thats a shame) but this is the first (or one of the first) residential green buildings of this size in toronto. plus i, as someone who will be living there, dont care how it looks on the outside. i care about my 10 foot ceilings and 200+ sqfeet balcony with a gas line! people are focusing so much on the looks that they're completely forgetting the reasons why this is a great project.

FYI i saw a green flag hanging from the red box the other day as a sign of solidarity with the people of iran, i thought that was a nice gesture.

"i, as someone who will be living there, dont care how it looks on the outside"

I don't understand how people can think like this. What about having some pride in the building you live in and contributing to the city? It just sounds so selfish. It's just not something I can relate to. No wonder there is so much grey spandrel on ugly buildings, with attitudes like that. I'd expect that from an investor.

plus i, as someone who will be living there, dont care how it looks on the outside. i care about my 10 foot ceilings and 200+ sqfeet balcony with a gas line! people are focusing so much on the looks that they're completely forgetting the reasons why this is a great project.

You're completely forgetting that the outside of this building is in the public realm and that people have to look at it every day. That must be taken into consideration. Thse same goes for every other building where the builder cheaped out or decked the exterior in hiddeous or banal cladding (I'm talking about you Trump Tower).

In case you haven't noticed, there is plenty of debate here about how buildings look from the outside. People happen to have in interest in how attractive structures are, and may not be too terribly interested in the state of BBQ gas hook-ups.

Also, i see a lot of negativity about this project which leads me to bring up why this building is important. true that it doesn't look exactly as initially advertised (and thats a shame) but this is the first (or one of the first) residential green buildings of this size in toronto. plus i, as someone who will be living there, dont care how it looks on the outside. i care about my 10 foot ceilings and 200+ sqfeet balcony with a gas line! people are focusing so much on the looks that they're completely forgetting the reasons why this is a great project.

Hey, mirage enjoy youre new digs..and all that nonsense regarding looks, i wouldnt worry to much cause its not the general population but the same dozen or so individuals and their followers bashing almost everything and anything that is built in this city..:mad: Again enjoy and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Hey, mirage enjoy youre new digs..and all that nonsense regarding looks, i wouldnt worry to much cause its not the general population but the same dozen or so individuals and their followers bashing almost everything and anything that is built in this city..:mad: Again enjoy and welcome to the forum.

AG, although we have a difference of opinion about our current mayor, I couldn't agree more with you on your statement above. All of the condos being built today have one major purpose. To house people. The fact that most are not architectural gems is just par for the course. In the 60's & 70's, it was 100's of 12s brick buildings with tiny balconies stuck on as after thoughts. In the 80's & 90's buildings grew to 25s and the brick was replaced with Concrete panels. Today the concrete has being replaced with glass and the buildings are 40s. In twenty years, they'll be 60s and made out of who knows what. The only constant, is that people will live in them and for the most part enjoy living in them. I'm happy that one in twenty turns out to be a gem on the outside. The rest just become part of the built form.

Last edited:
Gristle and TorontoVibe,

I understand your point, but you talk as if this is a tumor on the face of king st! I, as a matter of fact, quite like the look! It is a good looking building during the day, but I bet at night it will be something else when the little details pop out. I admit that there are better looking buildings out there but rather than just complain why not analyze the reasons behind this:

Reading through the thread, the biggest issues i found are 2 things: The red box, and the balconies.

I'd have been much happier with the full red box, but if i was the investor for this building i'd have it turned into a couple of units in a heartbeat too! for 900,000 more i doubt anyone here would say otherwise!
if the balconies were narrower, or all together smaller in size and less abundant on this building i'm sure it would've looked better. but they are this wide for energy conservation, function over form. besides it gives the tenants an outdoor environment that few condos offer(i havent seen any with this size).

About the balconies and how people say they should paint it, thats ridiculous! I'm a builder. concrete fades, paint chips and becomes yellow. And not only is painting a maintenance nightmare when you have this many levels and the balconies are this big, it is unacceptable to expect the tenants to pay 10-15 dollars a month more on maintenance fee because someone in the sidewalk doesn't like the public realm of the building!

Gristle and TorontoVibe,

I understand your point, but you talk as if this is a tumor on the face of king st! I, as a matter of fact, quite like the look! It is a good looking building during the day, but I bet at night it will be something else when the little details pop out. I admit that there are better looking buildings out there but rather than just complain why not analyze the reasons behind this:

Reading through the thread, the biggest issues i found are 2 things: The red box, and the balconies.

I never said it looked like a tumor. My point is that a little extra effort could have resulted in a better looking building. Builders often exact small short-term savings by eliminating finishes. So long as those changes don't contravene any of the promises made in the sales literature or declaration, they can get away with it. Is it an awful building from the outside? No. Could it have been a better looking building by sticking more closely to the advertised renders? Yes.

Balcony surfaces are painted in order to protect the concrete. The long-term maintenance cost of those surfaces becomes part of the reserve fund for the building. I don't know where you are getting the $10 to $15 month maintenance fee cost from. Can you cite that from your condo documents?

I don't think there is anything wrong with raising the issue of how a building looks. You may not like the opinions expressed in that regard, but there is much more positive to be said for an attractive building with quality finishes than for a banal building with lousy looks. From my own personal point of view, M5V falls somewhere in between.

All that being said, glad to hear you have a suite you like.

Thanks Automation, I realized that when browsing through project replies in this site.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy your new building. Its an exciting time I bet.

Don't worry about the haters. I own a unit at Cityplace so I'm very used to the bashing from a select few that goes on. The reality is no condo comes out how its rendered by an artist. The haters are either still living in their parents' basement or live in a condo that is older and more established. Let them hate while you enjoy your huge balcony.

One of the main topics, if not the main topic on UT, is the architecture of buildings and how they contribute to Toronto. I did not comment on this building, I was refering to the statement about not caring what the building looked like on the outside. The look of the building on the outside effects the whole city, not just those who own the condo. Of course, people who care about Toronto, care about architecture, urban planning and beauty. To only care about your own unit, is pretty selfish, that's all I'm saying.

Hell, if people don't care about architecture/urban planning, why would they even come on UT? (after their condo building is built and occupied)

Last edited:

Back