Ideally all heritage buildings get protected and incorporated, thats what adds character to the city and make it a destination for tourism and culture
Thats why people love the old heritage architecture in NYC, Chicago, London, Paris, etc cause they're preserved
Sure, but the value judgement is *what* constitutes a "heritage building"? If it's a tourism driver, do you see people coming to Toronto to check out 38 Camden? I'm going to guess no. Does 38 Camden promote any sort of unique culture? Doubtful.

You're painting with a pretty broad 'heritage' brush there. If MANGA wants to take this to LPAT, they will lose because it's generally accepted that this building, and others like it, don't meet the tests of what constitute a 'heritage' building.

There's a few of those types of buildings in that area. They all seem to be of the "you've seen one, you've seen them all" caliber...

It is a missed opportunity to brand the building in the style of Japanese-style graphic novels, especially given the demographic of the neighbourhood it is in.

It is a missed opportunity to brand the building in the style of Japanese-style graphic novels, especially given the demographic of the neighbourhood it is in.
You know...that's been my thinking. I mean, being a...err, otaku with a large extensive library of said comics, keeps making me wonder or wishing it's a hotel chain targeted to my audience with that name. Where all the staff are in cosplay of my favorite anime...

...but I'll likely be reminding by the more dignified patrons of this site, "Nice try, but I don't think so." :(

Demolition of a Property Designated under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act - 38 Camden Street

This item will be considered by Toronto and East York Community Council on September 16, 2020. It will be considered by City Council on September 30, 2020, subject to the actions of the Toronto and East York Community Council.

------------

465-471 Richmond Street West and 38 Camden Street - Zoning Amendment Application - Request for Direction Report

1620504423474.png

While municipal approvals are still needed, construction could start as early as late next year on a 240-room hotel at 471 Richmond St. W., and a 131-room hotel at 38 Camden St. The 17- and 15-storey buildings will be designed by Sweeny&Co Architects.

Toor told RENX they’ll be upscale boutique properties offering complimentary food and beverages and should appeal to young professionals.

According to the NRU, a settlement was reached on this project at the OLT.

"Manga filed an appeal in 2020, and subsequently. submitted a settlement offer to council for a revised proposal consisting of two hotel buildings of 15 and 19 storeys, retaining the façade of the existing building at 38 Camden. The settlement offer was accepted by council."

Last edited by a moderator:

"Manga filed an appeal in 2020, and subsequently. submitted a settlement offer to council for a revised proposal consisting of two hotel buildings of 15 and 19 storeys, retaining the façade of the existing building at 38 Camden. The settlement offer was accepted by council."
Yayyy!!! Excellent news that the facade got preserved
Better than the existing glass design

Curiously, the application in the AIC does not acknowledge the above, and no new plans have been filed since 2019.

if you dig through council records you can probably find the vote to approve the settlement which will likely have the now de-classified plans attached.

Found:

1635186107742.png

1635186145257.png

1635186230156.png

Reports:

Settlement Offer Letter:

Arch Plans:

Supplementary Letter, concerning S.37

From the above:
1635186382885.png

I think saving this facade is very dumb!! I guess the existing building is perf for a facadectomy considering the sides are just concrete cinderblock. Though old, I don't really find this facade of any interest or value. Oh well. Heritage folks live for the wins.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 2.35.17 PM.png

I think saving this facade is very dumb!! I guess the existing building is perf for a facadectomy considering the sides are just concrete cinderblock. Though old, I don't really find this facade of any interest or value. Oh well. Heritage folks live for the wins.

View attachment 358240

I'm inclined to agree.

We still continue to see applications where very attractive/interesting heritage is either completely lost, or regrettably reduced to facade only.

But finite resources to protect such things are applied here for some reason,instead of a dozen more worthy locations.

Last edited:

Back