DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Thanks to the proposed development of 197 Yonge Street, Massey hall is getting a bit more land and will be demolishing the Albert Building and renovating Massey Hall. Most changes will be internal but among the more obvious will be that the external fire escapes - added in 1911 - will be removed and the stained glass windows will be reopened. Details are at: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/pb/bgrd/backgroundfile-57665.pdf

Yes yes yes! Thank you DSC. The design of the addition is a bit too stuffy - heavy-handed even (I think S+P might be a better fit) but the programme is perfect. Don't really like the new canopy along Shuter either - it really interrupts the facade and not sure if that's an improvement over the old fire escape.

And from p. 9 of the report:

Commencement of construction of the above grade portion of the rear addition to Massey Hall will not begin due to construction access requirements from Victoria Street for the proposed new tower on the 197 Yonge Street Lands until first occupancy of the new building on the 197 Yonge Street Lands.

So that part of the project probably won't happen for awhile.

AoD

Last edited:
Yes, the render screams KPMB. Or whispers it I guess. But you can understand the desire to try to repeat the success McKenna had with the RCM. If the passerelles are half as popular as the outside deck at Koerner, they'd better build them strong.

I agree, that canopy through the middle of the original entry looks like it must be a mistake.

newmassey.JPG

Attachments

• newmassey.JPG
    newmassey.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 6,401
Agreed on not liking the canopy (though people lined up outside in bad weather probably would), but I quite like the rest of it

This is so exciting, finally Massey Hall gets the attention it deserves after decades of lack of funding. Everything looks good but not that canopy - I totally agree. I hope the seats in the auditorium are replaced too, the orchestra seat cushions/foam must be from the 1940's/1950's and the upper levels still have wooden seats.

Speaking of the canopy along Shuter - a more detailed look at the report (p. 10) suggests it's notional:

The removal of the fire escapes will require some repair to masonry on the north elevation. It will also provide an opportunity to restore the original stone "Massey Hall" sign band and to reinstate a canopy across the front of the building. The details of this canopy (precise location on the north elevation, materials, attachment) will be developed in consultation with Heritage Preservation Services and will form part of the conservation plan. The canopy is included on the site plan submission only to delineate the extent of its projection (encroachment) into the public right-of-way.

AoD

Exciting news!

The glass canopy along Shuter in the rendering is awful, but the rest of it looks good so far. (I realize it's very early days, but I just had to bitch about something haha).

Looking forward to seeing the proposal develop and more details to come forward.

Probably in the minority, but I'm going to miss those iron fire escapes.

I really like fire escapes too, but on Massey Hall they will not be missed.

A few examples of cool fire escapes from the '70's on Victoria St. -

Imperial Six cinemas on Victoria St. in 1972 (now Ed Mirvish Theatre)

Imperial Six cinemas on Victoria St. looking north, 1972 (also note the Hermant Building which still has fire escapes today)

http://www.flickeralley.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109&Itemid=56

The Yonge cinema looking north on Victoria St. (now the Elgin & Wintergarden Theatres) - fire escapes up to the Wintergarden & Yonge cinema balcony in 1977-

The renamed Elgin cinema (in 1978) looking up to the Elgin balcony & Wintergarden from Victoria Street in 1978-

Me too. I find there's something very classic "Big City" about old fire escapes.

I like the fire escapes too, reminding me of "older cities" in the movies.

that being said, Victoria st between Shuter and Queen is a disaster. St Mike's is suffocating (when will they reclad? This is one that does need recladding as looking at it will make healthy people sick) and on the other side, you see nothing but the back of two very unattractive buildings. The back of the Elgin threatre is depressing, almost prison like.

Back