masseym15.jpg

kristopher, the recent hoardings around Massey Hall were temporary. I forget what was done, but the news went out that these hoardings were there just for a short time.

The Massey Hall reno remains a future thing.

m-IMG_20130920_142708.jpg

m-IMG_20130920_142711.jpg

m-IMG_20130920_142808.jpg

m-IMG_20130920_142839.jpg

Attachments

• m-IMG_20130920_142708.jpg
    m-IMG_20130920_142708.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,522
  • m-IMG_20130920_142711.jpg
    m-IMG_20130920_142711.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,539
  • m-IMG_20130920_142808.jpg
    m-IMG_20130920_142808.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,527
  • m-IMG_20130920_142839.jpg
    m-IMG_20130920_142839.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,529
Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 246083 SHO 00 PP Accepted Date: Oct 16, 2013

Project: Other Partial Permit - Shoring

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 2 sty below grade basement shell, excluding slab on grade, and shoring. Massey Hall Phase 0. Note, see active Massey Hall permits. Convenience address - 178 Victoria St.

Heard through the grape vine that the loading dock proposed for the south end of the building has been cancelled. This would be a shame since this would ease noise for the condos across the street and the new Massey condo building. Also the pedestrian and vehicle traffic could be ease considerably often these load ins and load outs block traffic affecting emergency services for St Mikes. The priceless heritage elements could also preserve there status longer as well. The Green room and offices are the only renos still going forward in the south end of Massey Hall. Yes the rest of the building is still getting its makeover.

For those living and working in the area you should call your city councillor and ask why this is being done?

That's a shame. Load-ins through the front is one of Massey's downfalls. Any reasoning beyond probable cost-cutting?

I really don't know but shows on tour are only getting only bigger and more sophisticated. Which reminds me that safety is also a big issue and maybe should be the biggest issue and reason why a loading dock is essential for Massey Hall. Its really just a matter of time before someone is seriously injured while trying to load in with the rollercoaster ramp system they use. The loading dock could off set any legal action as a precaution

That's a shame. Load-ins through the front is one of Massey's downfalls. Any reasoning beyond probable cost-cutting?
I understood that the MH renovations were always going to be done in phases. Are we sure the loading dock is cancelled or simply happening in a later phase?

I understood that the MH renovations were always going to be done in phases. Are we sure the loading dock is cancelled or simply happening in a later phase?

My sources are usually solid they are one of the top people there. I'm hoping that they are wrong though. Which again reminds me that when the loading dock was proposed the center vomitorium was to be filled in. The FOH operators would remain in the same spot. Now I don't know what will become of that. I'm actually trying to find out the ward councillor for MH and contact them about this situation.

My sources are usually solid they are one of the top people there. I'm hoping that they are wrong though. Which again reminds me that when the loading dock was proposed the center vomitorium was to be filled in. The FOH operators would remain in the same spot. Now I don't know what will become of that. I'm actually trying to find out the ward councillor for MH and contact them about this situation.

Your sources in this case, Maggie, are less than solid. Instead of asking the public to call their councillors, you should have done some basic research and read the April 29. 2013 Final Report on 197, 197R, 199 & 201 Yonge Street [Massey Tower condominium development], 178 Victoria Street & 15 Shuter Street [Massey Hall Revitalization], approved by City Council on June 11, 2013 which states:

A site plan application for redevelopment of those lands has been submitted by Massey Hall (file no. 12-256738 STE 27 SA). The site plan proposal is to demolish the existing Albert building at the rear of Massey Hall and to construct a 10,830 sq.m. (6-storey) addition to the rear of the existing Massey Hall on the Albert building site and conveyed lands. The proposal includes renovations to the existing Massey Hall to conserve the historic building while the addition would provide new space for performers, new patron facilities, administrative offices as well as new back-of-house space. Passarelles which are elevated glass walkways are proposed on the east and west facades to link the front gallery area to the new patron facilities in the addition at the rear of the building. The passarelles will be accessed by patrons internally from the second and third floor of the auditorium, and will also provide enhanced access to the elevators in the new addition for disabled patrons. The addition would permit loading and unloading for events to be done at the rear of the building.

The report states in its recommendations regarding the Section 37 :

that the owner of the Site enter into and register a Three Party Agreement on title to the Site and the Massey Hall lands, with the City and the owner of the Massey Hall lands, to secure amongst other matters, the conveyance and easement(s) to Massey Hall, to ensure the limited purpose of the conveyance and easements required in iii.; a Construction Phasing Plan which provides for the construction of the owner's Development and the Massey Hall Development, as well as the operation of Massey Hall during construction and the necessary rights in order that Massey is reasonably able to construct in a timely manner the completion of the Massey Hall Development; to address the timing of any removal of all or any portion of the structure related to the Albert building and to require a Heritage Easement Agreement be entered into by the owner of Massey Hall with the City;

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-58026.pdf

DSC is correct. Given the site constraints, this is a phased development, which will have a Construction Phasing Plan integrating construction. The KPMB design has not changed.

Last edited:
Hoping your right thecharioteer. I've read this report before but that does not mean this is cast in stone again hoping this is correct and will be seen through.

My experience is that thecharioteer knows his stuff!!! (and this is definitely his stuff)

photo.jpg
I thought I'd break the ice on this stale forum thread. Massey Hall is well underway with the early stages of preliminary construction for their expansion. I will be here tomorrow and will grab a photo.

Regards.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 920
Last edited:

Back