I can't stand how little and weak the little glass retail box looks, and the podium of the tower behind the bank tower looks even more oppressive than if they built the podium right up to the sidewalk/ above the bank. I'm not happy with this yet. The overall concept is cool though, and I like the tower. I almost wish the tower was divided up into 5 or 7 sections (like the newly announced Ryerson residence for Jarvis or that proposal for NYC I can't recall right now), each a repetition of the other to some extent.

Anyways, I think this thing looks half-baked and could be improved. Good overall ideas at work here though.

Yeah, why strive for greatness when you can be average and just fit in with the crowd.

Agree. Toronto finally gets a gorgeous design, and someone wants to strip it down to something ordinary. Only in Toronto!

No, I'm not saying that- you've both making strawman arguments.

I liked the earlier Hariri Pontarini design because of its simplicity (especially in the podium) and subservience to the bank buildings. This one, with the wavy fritted glass balconies, and angled podium seems a bit too frilly for my tastes.

Edit: Let's take a look at it again, since the original renders have long since disappeared.

NEW:
urbantoronto-4708-15459.jpg

OLD:
1329863435_2012_02_21_01_28_07_massey_tower.png

Last edited:
I can't stand how little and weak the little glass retail box looks, and the podium of the tower behind the bank tower looks even more oppressive than if they built the podium right up to the sidewalk/ above the bank. I'm not happy with this yet.

Actually, the diminished size and simplicity of the glass retail box helps in emphasizing the two heritage buildings. I think this iteration is a big improvement over the original image posted. It's complimentary without sacrificing its own identity.

I actually see the new design as a big step backward over the old one. The first image has quite a sharp look to it with just the right amount of curves. This image had greatly impressed me, which is why the second rendering disappoints me.

The new image looks like a committee insisted the building look more like 1 Bloor East (in itself a success but a very different building). The new design looks messy and cheap as a result. This messiness seems to be infecting new projects that have adopted random decorations and a lack of symmetry in an attempt to break away from the 'box' mold.

This strategy requires true artistry to be successful, not second rate knock offs. I'm concerned that in 10 years, people won't be complaining about the boxiness of Toronto buildings, but the cluttered and random look of our next batch of towers.

Essentially, it's a 70s Eaton Centre tower tribute that's gone "Jeanne Gang" on us.

I'm concerned that in 10 years, people won't be complaining about the boxiness of Toronto buildings, but the cluttered and random look of our next batch of towers.

Don't let the stacked layers and horizontal curves fool you. The design still feels quite 'boxy', though in a good way.

To chime in... I like the new design over the older one. I'm not too concerned about the glass box as the closer image shows the promise of a very nice space along Yonge that will enhance the adjacent heritage structures. My one concern is the blank podium above the glass box, despite the facets. Still, none of it may be that noticeable from street level.

The top of the tower is way too busy and distracting with those wavy ribbons. The top of the original is nicer.
Looks like the design was tarted up at the last minute for the sake of making it look more flashy, which unfortunately misses the mark.
Keep it simple and elegant.

I appreciate that it may not be your cup of tea, but the design is not meant to be simple and elegant it is meant to be wavy and 'ribbony'.

I actually see the new design as a big step backward over the old one. The first image has quite a sharp look to it with just the right amount of curves.

I couldn't disagree more. To me the prior design was an uninspired aping of the Eaton tower and that general '70s style -- it brought nothing new to the table, and for a residential building it looked blandly commercial (and don't get me started on how ugly the top mechanical section was). The new design, while paying homage to its inspiration, is much more clearly a residential building, with the emphasized balconies, and its curves are a playful interpretation of the minimalist style it recognizes.

In short, the former design was a bland '70s office tower, whereas this is a modern interpretation for a condo.

The street level is still rather weak, the glass box is an afterthought, almost apologetic for being there.

AoD

agreed...with your comment and SP!RE's thoughts above. to HPA's credit, though, they do seem to get things right in the end, as was the case with Five (same with 8 Gloucester, which I've seen the renderings of and looks spectacularly improved from the original set). hopefully they get to the same point with Massey.

I'm not sure if there is any better solution than the glass box. The park itself was pretty much an afterthought, and any major opaque structure here would detract from the two heritage buildings it would sit between. I prefer the space being filled with something very neutral, so that the bank buildings appear to best advantage.

ThomasJ:

The "laneway" to the north might be a requirement given the adjoining property has south facing windows (?). But what's with the setback from Yonge? What's wrong with building right up (or close to) the edge of the site right up to the sidewalk?

Tulse:

The issue isn't the glass box (though its' use for context like these is borderline architectural cliche at this point IMO), it is how the glass box relate to its' space and the design of the building at large.

AoD

Last edited:

Back