Am I the only one getting a bit queasy about the extent of development pressure in the Entertainment District? The blocks along King between University and Spadina are already great and have lots of potential. I would hate to see that squandered.

What entertainment district?

All kidding aside, what the hell is this? How many highrises need to be here? There's already The Mercer, Festival Tower, Cinema, Pinnacle on Adelaide and the twin tower development right next door and those are just the ones you could hit by spitting out your chewing gum from the hypothetical 35th balcony in this building.
Please, please, please reject this.

Last edited:

Um Wow. Can't wait for a render.
From report:
nqC2a.png

So if I'm reading this right, the City is requesting that the properties be consolidated. Does that mean that the developer could then turn around and propose something other than this? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding their requests.

From the elevations this has potential.

edit: And glad to see the City's request for a lease of 20 years on a few units to be used for affordable housing.

So if I'm reading this right, the City is requesting that the properties be consolidated. Does that mean that the developer could then turn around and propose something other than this? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding their requests.

From the elevations this has potential.

edit: And glad to see the City's request for a lease of 20 years on a few units to be used for affordable housing.

no - this is the final, agreed-upon proposal. 47 storeys. huge.

Wasn't the site also suppose to have an Ed Mirvish museum, or is that the proposal just to the west of this one (i.e. the parking lot and Westing house building) ?

Wasn't the site also suppose to have an Ed Mirvish museum, or is that the proposal just to the west of this one (i.e. the parking lot and Westing house building) ?

westinghouse - to the west, yes. and not sure if it will be a mirvish museum, perse.

Not necessary ....

As they acquired more property the allowable density across the entire site increases. Moreover one of the largest issues initially was the proximity to the other tower going up on the parking lot just to the west.

It is not always a simple mater of height, though clearly the author of the article chose to focus solely on that point.

I haven't read through the planning report carefully, but does anybody know if there is any provision that the retail space in the podium be design to accommodate restaurants, so as to better integrate into Restaurant Row?

taal:

Nope, not in the report - not sure if the city have those powers anyways.

re: project

I thought it looks really quite handsome, unlike the clunker of a proposal on the other side of King St.

AoD

Last edited:
Cannot begin to explain how against this I am. With so many highrises in one spot, restaurant row could have remained untouched. My sympathies go out to the restaurant owners who have already undergone years of construction in the immediate area and will now undergo much, much more more. Here's hoping the facadism ends up looking better than 1 Bedford.

In other news, if the DRL ever does get built it's going to be hard to argue against aligning it under King Street, cost notwithstanding of course.

From CBC News...........http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/08/31/toronto-king-west.html

Downtown condo proposal draws protests
Toronto restaurateur is leading the charge to stop a proposed condo development on King Street West that he says will damage the neighbourhood.

"It's a tough battle," said Al Carbone.

On Thursday, Carbone placed a banner on the front gate of his Kit Kat restaurant that says, 'Say no to condo developments on restaurant row.'

His restaurant has been serving customers for 25 years.

About six months ago, he found out about plans for a 47-storey condo tower with 300 units, to be built just doors away from his restaurant.

It will, says Carbone, dramatically change the strip known as restaurant row.

"It's a landmark. It's not one building, it's several buildings. Once one landlord goes another one will go. This strip will be disappearing," he said.

The strip between John Street and Spadina Avenue is known for its vibrant restaurants and bars, right in the heart of the entertainment district — and they're housed in historical buildings, some dating back to the 1800s.

Carbone is hoping the public urges the city to change the plans. "Unless I get the public support I'm fighting for nothing," he said.

He says the towers will destroy the area bringing more dust, crowds and parking problems.

The condo plan goes before the Ontario Municipal Board in October

Back