Dec 8, 2021

B4CE6748-E0BC-4700-B20A-44882FA64155_1_201_a.jpeg

Attachments

• B4CE6748-E0BC-4700-B20A-44882FA64155.jpeg
    B4CE6748-E0BC-4700-B20A-44882FA64155.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 131
For all its flaws, the stretch of King Street around Maverick used to be a really vibrant and lively section. I hope the uses at grade are able to recapture some of that uniqueness as opposed to your typical chain coffee shop, retail bank and nail salon. The trendy part appears to keep moving west.

For all its flaws, the stretch of King Street around Maverick used to be a really vibrant and lively section. I hope the uses at grade are able to recapture some of that uniqueness as opposed to your typical chain coffee shop, retail bank and nail salon. The trendy part appears to keep moving west.

I've been seriously lamenting the death of retail along this stretch of King.
  • Retail at Tiff Lightbox is always rotating/seasonal
  • 'Restaurant Row' is a shell of itself
  • None of the retail at the new King Blue is filled
  • Hyatt has always been a dead-zone except for the Starbucks that's now gone
  • MEC left
  • Shoppers will be redeveloped
It's the same story a bit further south on Mercer and Wellington. I've lived here since 2017 and somehow, despite all these new residents (Bisha, King Blue, PJ Condo, 97 Peter), the number of retailers have shrunken.

I've been seriously lamenting the death of retail along this stretch of King.
  • Retail at Tiff Lightbox is always rotating/seasonal
  • 'Restaurant Row' is a shell of itself
  • None of the retail at the new King Blue is filled
  • Hyatt has always been a dead-zone except for the Starbucks that's now gone
  • MEC left
  • Shoppers will be redeveloped
It's the same story a bit further south on Mercer and Wellington. I've lived here since 2017 and somehow, despite all these new residents (Bisha, King Blue, PJ Condo, 97 Peter), the number of retailers have shrunken.
True.
But I think we need to get a year out of covid to see what actually materializes.
Pretty tough environment currently.

True.
But I think we need to get a year out of covid to see what actually materializes.
Pretty tough environment currently.
Honestly I dont think we need a year to assess the situation on this stretch of King St W. It's dead, absolutely dead.

If you take a look at areas like College between Ossington and Spadina, Queen West between Gladstone and Ossington, Queen West between Bathurst and University (just to name a few areas) they already have a surge in pedestrian activity post-lockdown.

The city absolutely sucked the life out of this area, and the only thing that brings activity to this area is office workers (and that's not necessarily a good thing is businesses rely on that solely as we've seen).

Honestly I dont think we need a year to assess the situation on this stretch of King St W. It's dead, absolutely dead.

If you take a look at areas like College between Ossington and Spadina, Queen West between Gladstone and Ossington, Queen West between Bathurst and University (just to name a few areas) they already have a surge in pedestrian activity post-lockdown.

The city absolutely sucked the life out of this area, and the only thing that brings activity to this area is office workers (and that's not necessarily a good thing is businesses rely on that solely as we've seen).

Just to add to this, this area is jam packed with hotels, perhaps the lack of traveling and tourism is what's causing this area to be a bit behind in returning to normal activity.

The Jays games being delayed this year is just an another unfortunate fact for this neighbourhood.

Back