Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
This thread will be used for discussions relating to McMaster University's master development plan for the Main Campus, Downtown Hamilton Campus and Burlington Campus.

Additional sub-projects and threads will be created for individual buildings when more details are released.

You can learn more about the master plan here: https://publications.mcmaster.ca/ca...ersity-campus-plan-2023-2033/the-campus-plan/

And here: https://facilities.mcmaster.ca/app/uploads/2023/11/McMaster_Campus-Plan-2023.pdf

Below are the conceptual renderings:

Birds-eye view:
Screenshot-2023-06-19-at-12.30.55-PM-1400x600.jpg

Main Street West Gateway:
Screenshot-2023-06-19-at-12.12.10-PM.jpg

Sterling Street Gateway:
Screenshot-2023-06-22-at-2.26.05-PM.jpg

LRT Station in the Southwest Quadrant:
Screenshot-2023-06-19-at-1.03.46-PM.jpg

Heart of Campus:
Screenshot-2023-06-22-at-2.28.26-PM.jpg

West Campus:
Screenshot-2023-06-22-at-2.32.19-PM.jpg

Downtown Hamilton Campus:
Screenshot-2023-06-22-at-2.43.04-PM.jpg

Burlington Campus:
Screenshot-2023-06-22-at-2.46.15-PM.jpg

Not a huge fan of the added parking structures, especially given the LRT,.
It's unfortunate that the "west campus" ended up being a flood plain. The prior plans included expansion of the campus to that area. I don't know how realistic that is, as McMaster has plenty of room to grow on the existing campus, as seen here.

That being said, I think with enhanced LRT access there should be a reduced need for parking, and lower demand overall. I'd like to see McMaster employees also get transit passes like students, though perhaps not a full subsidy to encourage employees to take transit.

My partner works at McMaster, and she has 3 ways of getting to work:

1) 22 minute bicycle ride (she does this in summer, and we plan to get her an E-Bike to extend the ridable season for her, as she's not like me riding year round). [FREE].

2) 31 minute transit trip (included a 16 minute walk in total at beginning and end of trip, highlighting the lack of transit access to our region of downtown). [~$108/month].

3) 12 minute drive, plus a 10 minute walk to her office. [$51/month, in addition to minor gas and wear/tear costs].

You can see why people drive for work, and why students take transit or bike.

I think it's important for universities to maintain some parking to accommodate those visiting from out of town for conferences, meetings, guest lectures, etc. The fact that they're proposing higher density parking structures on land that is currently surface parking (ultimately reducing the parking footprint) is a win.

Overall I like this Master Plan, hopefully it comes to fruition better than MIP has

I think it's important for universities to maintain some parking to accommodate those visiting from out of town for conferences, meetings, guest lectures, etc. The fact that they're proposing higher density parking structures on land that is currently surface parking (ultimately reducing the parking footprint) is a win.

Overall I like this Master Plan, hopefully it comes to fruition better than MIP has
McMaster already has a lot of parking as is. A 505 stall parking garage would cost in the ballpark of $25,000,000 or potentially more. McMaster could pay a 3/4 subsidy to 50% of the staff for HSR for almost a decade at that cost. McMaster has a lot more work from home now too, and it's unlikely 50% of the staff would need or use that kind of subsidy, so it's likely they could have a 75% subsidy for HSR for like 15-20 years for that cost. What's more is that they could build a contract with HSR to purchase a bulk pass for employees that would reduce the cost even further.

This would remove demand for parking and allow out of town visitors to access parking (which is currently never full anyway).

1) 22 minute bicycle ride (she does this in summer, and we plan to get her an E-Bike to extend the ridable season for her, as she's not like me riding year round). [FREE].

2) 31 minute transit trip (included a 16 minute walk in total at beginning and end of trip, highlighting the lack of transit access to our region of downtown). [~$108/month].

3) 12 minute drive, plus a 10 minute walk to her office. [$51/month, in addition to minor gas and wear/tear costs].

I'd like to see offices be more proactive with commuting incentives, with a sliding scale depending on the mode. Charge for car parking, offer to partially cover transit, offer free indoor bike parking. Doesn't help that parking downtown is only slightly more expensive than the HSR, its clear why people drive.

McMaster already has a lot of parking as is. A 505 stall parking garage would cost in the ballpark of $25,000,000 or potentially more. McMaster could pay a 3/4 subsidy to 50% of the staff for HSR for almost a decade at that cost. McMaster has a lot more work from home now too, and it's unlikely 50% of the staff would need or use that kind of subsidy, so it's likely they could have a 75% subsidy for HSR for like 15-20 years for that cost. What's more is that they could build a contract with HSR to purchase a bulk pass for employees that would reduce the cost even further.

This would remove demand for parking and allow out of town visitors to access parking (which is currently never full anyway).

I would imagine a large number of Mac employees do not live in Hamilton proper and wouldn’t benefit from an HSR pass. Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be available to those that do live in the city, but my guess is folks commute in to mac from all over the region in addition to Hamilton.

I would imagine a large number of Mac employees do not live in Hamilton proper and wouldn’t benefit from an HSR pass. Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be available to those that do live in the city, but my guess is folks commute in to mac from all over the region in addition to Hamilton.
From my experience both working, my partner working at McMaster, my father working at McMaster and numerous friends working at McMaster (3), it seems it's about a 50/50 split approximately. Of those that don't, they'll likely drive still, but even some that live Niagara way might actually drive to Hamilton then LRT in when the train is complete to avoid traffic.

From my experience both working, my partner working at McMaster, my father working at McMaster and numerous friends working at McMaster (3), it seems it's about a 50/50 split approximately. Of those that don't, they'll likely drive still, but even some that live Niagara way might actually drive to Hamilton then LRT in when the train is complete to avoid traffic.
In 2034 💀

If we use Finch as a yard stick we're probably looking at 2032. Assuming the RFP actually goes out Q1 this year as it was rumoured.

It's great to see that massive channelized right turn lane removed at Main St @ Cootes Dr
That's where the LRT stop will be! But yeah, I always hated that channel. When I both worked and went to school there I always worried about hitting a student. I'm glad they changed it to give peds the right of way.

Speaking of pedestrians, I'd really love for McMaster to actually do the pedestrianization showed in the Master plan. Right now it feels like pedestrian-lite on campus. When I went to school I saw these plans to remove a lot of the asphalt space around the student centre, but it never came to fruition. McMaster has struggled to move away from its car oriented side and fully embrace a car free campus.

As a former University of Guelph student, I can say that having campus be more pedestrian friendly/focused is a huge win. It was by far one of the highlights of the Guelph campus compared to other school such as Mac and Western that have roads crisscrossing everywhere through it.

It's city policy to remove right turn channels. The exception seems to be where truck routes meet truck routes, and the current provincial "best practice" seems to be those "smart channels" vs just opening up the curb radius all the way. Also note the mcmaster masterplan has zero influence on that corner - which is still a truck route. I suspect when it does get redone (as part of LRT?) it might not be so clean. Now you can get away with smaller radii depending on the lane widths and if you assume the truck can just turn wide. I've gotten 12m before, but it's tight. A smart channel with truck aprons and a decently designed ped crossing might be what ends up here.

Back