I may be an outlier on this topic here as I have no problem with say Walmart going in at this corner. Infact I would welcome that kind of investment in the area. It will generate far more business and vitality to the corner than Honest Ed's.

On the other hand demolishing Mirvish Village is a travesty and a huge loss to the city.

I may be an outlier on this topic here as I have no problem with say Walmart going in at this corner. In fact I would welcome that kind of investment in the area. It will generate far more business and vitality to the corner than Honest Ed's.

On the other hand demolishing Mirvish Village is a travesty and a huge loss to the city.

How is walmart an "investment" in the area? Walmart does not add vitality. It adds another generic store found in a thousand other places that nobody gives two f*s about. You know what adds vitality? The centre of the biggest damn fringe festival in the country. Walmart generates business for itself. It does nothing for the neighbourhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the buildings on that block between Bloor and Lennox, but the house on the southwest corner of Markham and Lennox, is owned by Mirvish and being sold to Westbank. Ka Chi, Southern Accent, the Beguiling, Victory Cafe, all of Mirvish Village is entirely threatened, as it was in the late 1960s when Ed Mirvish wanted to put in a parking lot.

The Annex is one of the more well organized communities in the city, I predict that Westbank is going to have one heck of a fight on it's hands re: Mirvish Village and will end up developing around it. That's my hope too. It'll also spell the end of the city's most unique video store, Suspect Video :(

nrb, I don't really want to get into an argument defending Walmart (there is already a thread on this issue regarding the Bathurst property owned by RioCan). To clarify I am saying that business and pedestrian traffic would increase substantially, probably by a factor of 10x or more if Walmart or any other "generic store found in a thousand other places that no one gives twp f*s about" goes in there compared to the present Honest Ed's that hasn't seen a dime of investment in it since I've lived in this city.

I'm all for the Fringe Festival. You go Fringe! But if you are talking about economic and street vitality any old McDonald's franchise has on average $2.5 million in annual sales and generates a tremendous amout of street traffic. Even if Fringe had a permanent venue at this site (and maybe it could or should, I would prefer it!) how would it's box office receipts and street traffic compare to even this one restaurant?

The Annex is one of the more well organized communities in the city, I predict that Westbank is going to have one heck of a fight on it's hands re: Mirvish Village and will end up developing around it. That's my hope too. It'll also spell the end of the city's most unique video store, Suspect Video :(

Somehow, given its Woodwards precedent, I'd foresee Westbank trying to set up a creative dialogue rather than work against the grain of the neighbourhood--which, we shouldn't forget, is far less woebegone than Vancouver's Downtown East Side...

Somehow, given its Woodwards precedent, I'd foresee Westbank trying to set up a creative dialogue rather than work against the grain of the neighbourhood--which, we shouldn't forget, is far less woebegone than Vancouver's Downtown East Side...

They'd be very wise to do so, all developers would. Westbank, however, was extremely aggressive with their Shangri-la (Toronto) project, yet there's really no real established, organized neighbourhood in that area of town.

No, not to replace, but within ..

Bad Boy is taking over the Sonic Boom site once the record store moves out (it's supposed to be moving to Spadina Avenue, but I don't know where).

Back