Today:
IMG_20210505_103843042.jpg

IMG_20210505_103843042.jpg

Looks good, but i wish they splashed in some red brick or yellow brick somewhere. The city is getting alot of black and white, which looks fantastic in the summer, but dismal in the winter.
That's my only critique. The variation in building form and massing for the lower floors is great. Some colour would help make it stand out more.

So they're uplighting each one of those quilted diamond panels?
That'll be expensive to maintain. I suppose the LED strips could be colour changing.

That's the plan (if they've stuck to it that is... I hope to see it though as it'd be quite the sight at an important intersection, and in a way harboring back to when the building had the bright honest ed's sign on it.) Maintenance could be flagged as a reason for removal, but many buildings in China use much more complex lighting and at least from photos I've seen not suffered like Aura.

After my last post defending the spandrel on the bottom, I feel like I'm eating my words about the other details we should look forward to. I'm the type of person to look on the bright side but this kind of nullified my argument. While the changes I'm noticing in this photo aren't bad by any means (they still look much higher quality than 90% of new builds), I'm just pondering on why they were made as the cost savings don't seem that high at all. The little details that have been axed remove some of the personality of the design.

Knowing this is rental, does leave room for details to be tweaked during construction as there are no contracts with condo owners on the line, but I wish the documents were at least up to date as there is some subtle... changes here.

1621214761100.png

As I pointed out before these materials went up, the precast portion next to the main tower was to be getting golden mullions, which are now just color matched grey. Not a big deal, but it seems like a weird detail to change as I doubt there were cost savings with other builders using them and all (plus the gold would've looked sharp.)

Another change is the openable windows on the second floor retail. It's a retail space, why does it need these windows? This is another weird change that also eliminated the really cute frit pattern of food in the glass. The little things like that are what bring character to these builds, and the cost savings again don't seem too helpful.

It makes me worried for the other little details in the build that could get the axe, like the glass block façade (I really really want them to keep it.) But when looking in the documents and seeing there was supposed to be a more iron red brick used in some of the sections where the grey bricks are, it tells me we are really going to have to wait and see on this one.

There is a lot I love about this project, I'll be happy no matter what as I trust Westbank to deliver something that is unique and well-executed, but I just want to make others aware of these changes and hope maybe someone has more insight than me.

For now I'll hold out hope that everything else stays as it is and that cute frit pattern is still used at ground level (as it's supposed to be) on the market, and maybe gold mullions will appear somewhere.

So are those the fritted images as noted above in the windows?

Back