To the contrary, my argument would be that the lighter mullions compromise the entire motif. The glazing will always read as darker, and is intended to read as a void against the white cladding which reads as solid. Conceptually, the frames should likewise visually recede as part of the glazing. (Ideally, as a designer sketching up this motif for the first time, I'd want there to be no visible mullions at all. It's a motif of alternating voids going up the building.)

I'd go as far as to say you don't want the horizontal awning to read as part of the precast motif so why would you do it in a matching tone? But that is a little more subjective. It compromises the rhythm and verticality of the white precast motif. Even from a great distance, the awnings read too strongly. I like to do a sort of squint test - if the frames disappear into the glass convincingly and appear as a punched void in the facade, then it's working.

I'd also argue that regardless of built context, lighter mullions / frames that just appear as anodized aluminum always look dated and cheap at this point. Yes, I understand clearly the motif here is to divide the development into the appearance of different facades that contrast with their neighbours but it doesn't have to be so explicit as to require using lighter mullions. The entire facade of that portion of the building is white precast vs. the neighbouring facade's dark cladding, it's very explicit and using a lighter colour of mullion isn't required to make the point any more obvious. My argument is that glazed areas should read as an opening or void against the rest of the building, regardless of the colour of cladding. Ideally it wouldn't have perceptible mullions at all and the glass would just read as an opening in the white facade, but obviously cost is a factor.

I know this is nitpicky and subjective but that's my take based on how I conceptualize these types of facades. (I'm a very big fan of frame motifs in facade design, alternating windows, and clean lines, so don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the facades they're doing here.)

From Bloor and Spadina on February 20, 2022:

IMG_3481.jpg
IMG_3482.jpg
IMG_3483.jpg

BCLiquor?

This pair of replies had me thinking back to the movie "Demolition Man" in which there were a series of 'restaurant wars' after which only Taco Bell survived; proving that the cockroaches will out live every other species...... LOL

At any rate, I'm just picturing this in my head as the Great Liquor Store War in which only one government monopoly survives. Following the logic above, it would surely be the worst of the bunch!

Last edited:
From link.

Which states own all the liquor stores?​

The states of Alabama, Idaho, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Utah and Virginia all own the liquor stores directly.

From link.

British Columbia: Beer, wine and spirits are sold in provincially-owned and private liquor stores. Craft beer can be purchased at the brewery.
Alberta: Beer, wine and spirits are sold in privately-owned liquor stores.
Saskatchewan: Beer, wine and spirits are sold at provincially-owned liquor stores, rural franchises licensed by the government, and in three privately-owned stores. Beer, wine and spirits are also available at various “off sales” attached to bars and restaurants.
Manitoba: There is a mix of government-run and private wine and beer stores. Hotels are allowed to sell beer as licensed vendors, similar to “off sales.”
Quebec: Beer and wine are sold in grocery stores and corner stores. Wine, spirits and select beer are sold in government-run outlets.
Nova Scotia: Beer, wine and spirits are sold at provincially-owned liquor-store outlets. Some beer, wine and spirits are available at some private stores.
New Brunswick: Beer, wine and spirits are sold in provincially-owned liquor store outlets. A limited selection of wines is available at some grocery stores.
Prince Edward Island: Beer, wine and spirits are sold at provincially-owned liquor store outlets and a number of licensed agency stores.
Newfoundland and Labrador: Beer is available in various convenience stores. Liquor and beer are sold at provincially-owned liquor store outlets. Wine is only sold at provincially-owned liquor store outlets.

It's a pretty good place for an LCBO, given that if you're at Bloor and Bathurst you're looking at either a 20-30 minute walk either to Spadina and Dupont, or to Bloor and Ossington before you run into one.

And the one at Bloor-Ossington hardly counts since it's a tiny, ancient store. Total garbage.

I never understood how a vibrant area like the Annex could be lacking an LCBO for so many decades.

It's a pretty good place for an LCBO, given that if you're at Bloor and Bathurst you're looking at either a 20-30 minute walk either to Spadina and Dupont, or to Bloor and Ossington before you run into one.
When I used to live on Markham just north of Harbord I hated having to get booze. Had to walk down to what was a tiny little LCBO on College at the time. The new one there opened right after I moved out, of course.

In respect of the LCBO discussion, as someone who appreciates the nice LCBO's, and values the profit they contribute to gov't coffers, I still think allowing wider sales of beer and wine would go some distance to addressing most people's needs and providing more of a 15-minute city in respect of those needs.

That said, this area (Bloor/Bathurst) does have a relative dearth of service; and more particularly as well, of quality LCBO stores.

Even though when I was in the Annex I was not too far from the Dupont LCBO, I really missed that there were none along Bloor because that was where I would do grocery and other shopping. LCBO therefore required a big detour and/or its own trip. I am sure this location will do excellent business.

I would walk by Mirvish VIllage literally every day.. Would have loved the LCBO and other tenants that are coming from this development. It has a significant retail component.

Another grocery store other than that awful cramped Metro would be great as well.

Most people in the Annex have cars and Dupont is an easy drive to access groceries and the LCBO, but for those of us there without ones.. the retail environment is challenging.

Back