PXL_20220430_214509343.jpg

Excellent series by @interchange42 above.....

At the risk of being marginally OT for this thread, I have to say one non-Mirvish Village thing stood out to me in that very first pic:

1651460951615.png

The huge amount of garbage in rather disheveled pile on the sidewalk beside all the movie goers, in broad-daylight, at an event that draws tourists.

Never mind the waste receptacle door that's wide open............

Sigh.

Not Okay City of Toronto; and also not Okay Hot Docs.......better is required.

Last edited:
Excellent series by @interchange42 above.....

At the risk of being marginally OT for this thread, I have to say one non-Mirvish Village thing stood out to me in that very first pic:

View attachment 397220

The huge amount of garbage in rather disheveled pile on the sidewalk beside all the movie goers, in broad-daylight, at an event that draws tourists.

Never mind the waste receptacle door that's wide open............

Sigh.

Not Okay City of Toronto; and also not Okay Hot Docs.......better is required.

A 2nd non-Mirvish thing stood out for me. The sidewalks are impossibly narrow. This stretch of Bloor doesn't have room for on street parking. Instead of retailers thinking its removal will decrease sales, perhaps, they should ponder whether a better pedestrian experience will increase sales. The shops are nice but walking along that street isn't. I find the position of many of them ass-backwards. There's a subway right under them too.

A 2nd non-Mirvish thing stood out for me. The sidewalks are impossibly narrow. This stretch of Bloor doesn't have room for on street parking. Instead of retailers thinking its removal will decrease sales, perhaps, they should ponder whether a better pedestrian experience will increase sales. The shops are nice but walking along that street isn't. I find the position of many of them ass-backwards. There's a subway right under them too.

In fairness to merchants in this block, they just gave up 50% of the on-street parking when the bike lanes were installed.

That was an excellent move; and a big step for many.

There were streetscape improvements at that time as well.

Notably an increase in street trees; replacing many of the trees in small square boxes and putting them in better growing conditions in trenches, and several little parkettes w/seating were adding along many of the side street flanks.

I do concur, however, that they would be well served by a further reduction, particularly in their busiest blocks, at those immediately east of Bathurst (as captured in the photo), those immediately west of Spadina; and the 2nd block east of Bathurst.

The reasons for that are Bloor/Hot Docs, Metro, and Lee's Palace resectively.

Last edited:
This post is all about the distance shots; photos taken June 4th, 2022:

First, from Bloor and Spadina:

DSC07884.JPG

Now, just peeking out at Sussex and Major:

DSC07892.JPG

More visible at Sussex and Borden: (across from Central Tech)

DSC07893.JPG

Now way off the other way.......to Christie Pits Park, on the west side.

DSC07961.JPG

Back