...I mean was it built like that? Or was this PoMO retrofit of an elder slab gone "creative" like? Goodness, that's weird arsed.

November 7, 2022:

IMG_6269.jpeg
IMG_6270.jpeg
IMG_6271.jpeg

...I mean was it built like that? Or was this PoMO retrofit of an elder slab gone "creative" like? Goodness, that's weird arsed.
Yes, it was built that way; Tudor Revival was quite en vogue at the time. Admittedly it is a little awkward, I find that half timbered Tudor look works best on houses or lowrise commercial.

Best old photo I can find of it is here, but it's largely obscured by some (gorgeous, I might add) gates that I don't think exist anymore: https://digitalarchive.tpl.ca/objec...57c172d0a97fbce72249d88aa573c775bf6e331&idx=1

There's was a 3-storey Tudor Revival apartment building (1928) on Beach Ave. in Vancouver whose facade was preserved when a condo tower was erected on the site in the 1990s - Tudor Manor.
If this one gets redeveloped, maybe they'd do the same.

This one is not on an "avenue" so not likely to be redeveloped. And of course, you couldn't turn anything nearby into anything like it either now.

Strong postwar/60s-modernist aesthetic vibes with this development, minus the socially alienating tendencies of tower-in-the-park designs at ground level. The "new Honest Ed's" gets a solid A-A+ in my books.

Such an improvement. I bought a fair amount of stuff at Honest Ed's over the years, when you only cared about price and not quality, but there are plenty of places you can do that, and they shouldn't occupying a huge block at a prominent corner, half a block from a subway station.

Back